Flame Throwers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotrodron

Drives the Batmobile... er... Ratmobile!
I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with flame throwers on their rides? I am working on some for my Chrysler and would like some input as to which way has worked best for others. I'm not looking to go real elaborate with propane or a second distributor, just something simple with a spark plug and a coil. Just looking for some advice on the best way to wire this up and mount it. Thanks

Seen a few kits out there. My problem is, I'm running 6v and most of these require a 12v system. I don't know if I can just use a 6v coil??? Run a wire to a switch from the battery then to a spark plug in my exhaust? I'm sure its very simple, just need to do a little research.

would it be easier to just use an electric igniter from a gas grill or even one from an old water heater or furnace? they create a pretty big spark and work great for potato launchers and other fun stuff like that.

how about a fuel injector and a spark plug? 30 foot flames anyone....:eek:

seriously though, couldn't you just jet your carb a little on the rich side and wire a spark plug up for small flames?

thats what I'm tryin to do now. I'm tryin it on a 70 pontiac I have. Its running rich and I have a spark plug in the tailpipe. I need to figure out how to wire it up to create the spark....as far as the grill ignitor goes, I'm not sure. I haven't heard of anyone doing that, but your right they do create a nice spark. Anyone ever take one out of the grill and go around shocking the crap out of your buddies? Good Stuff

i have made one from junk, run the same coil out back as you do for your ignition, spark plug 4inch in from end of the tail pipe, use a 2way relay switch and a door bell. set it up so when the door bell is pressed the current from your ignition is stopped and the current is directed to the rear spark plugs

sounds cool livn, but could you be a little more specific as to how to wire it up like that? I've got the coil and have a spark plug in the exhaust. I'll pick up a doorbrll and the relay switch. Any 2-way relay switch is fine? How do I wire up the doorbell? Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back