flathead machinists?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey

Does anybody know of a good machine shop in the kansas city mo/ks area? :confused:

I'm going to be looking for a shop that knows their flatheads, as i'm not thrilled with the idea of sending my engine out to the west coast for machine work due to time and cost but I want it done right and from what i've read and the fragilities of the flat head i dont want some rookie grinding on mine.

thanks in advance

:)

Smokey,

An engine is an engine to any experienced machinist. The blocks all deck the same way and align honing is no different than any other engine. I’m just about done with my first flathead build and I also wanted to go to find a “flathead” machine shop. The problem is, you’ll probably get “sold” on things that are not necessary. The only flathead specific machining hardware that will be needed is a deck plate if you plan on boring the engine.

Since I started about a year ago, I picked up 10 other flathead engines and I go to several different machine shops to have work done. The first shop has a very nice wet mag, so I have them tank and mag my blocks. Then it’s off to another for an acid dip, back to the first shop for align hone and bore. The rotating assembly is balanced at another place and there’s one for grinding cams and another that shot peens.

I visited as many machine shops in my area that I can and I pick the ones with the best equipment for the job, and how they treat me as a newcomer to engine machining.

There are a few “Flathead” machine shops in the area and I have never had them do any work. Oh, I’ve talked to them but I just didn’t care for them to be honest.

You can port the intake and exhaust yourself and probably relieve the block, if you decide to. There is no benefit to installing new intake and exhaust valve seats unless yours are toast. 49-53 Flatheads already have hardened exhaust valve seats.

Hit the yellow pages (do they still exist) and call up a few in your area, then go visit them. If this is all new to you, like it was for me, it can feel like you’re a bit out of place. Once you find one that you feel comfortable with, ask them questions. The good ones will show you around the shop. They may only do one or two things really good so don’t hesitate to ask them if there’s any other place they would recommend for other work you need done.

After a while, they’re like home away from home.

Sid

Thanks for the info, its not my 1st engine build but it is my 1st flathead. just looking to find a good qualified shop that knows about the oddities of flat heads like the valve angle not matching from the left and right banks or how the crank is set of center to one side slightly.....
you know,the little things that make a flathead weird other than the valves being in the block.

In the past ive done most of my cleaning and machine work with one shop or another never ran parts back and forth between multiple shops but those motors were more common ohv s.b.f and s.b.c.
I guess im just being more carefull because its a 60 year old motor thats not as readily available

:)

Latest posts

Back