Fold out windshield regulator help needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

401ton

I took the windshield regulator out of my 1946 Chevy truck cab last night and found that it slips on the gears. Not a big surprise being it's age.
The stainless strip is not broken and the gears don't look bad but the shaft moves a few thousands in and out and side to side and even without the weight of the windshield will slip just trying to move the stainless strip.

My question is, has anyone ever rebuilt one of these regulators themselves by welding up the gears or such?

Has anyone made a home brewed way to open the windshield without buying a $200 rebuilt regulator?

I can spend the money if needed, but thought I would check out any good ideas first. Thanks

Attachments

• 100_0009.jpg
    100_0009.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_0011.jpg
    100_0011.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 22
I didn't see in the tech tip where he addressed the stripped pot metal gear. Or does that brass stop just hold it in position so engages ? I know mine turns and appears to be engaged. I am not sure once I install it, will the weight of the w/s assembly cause it to slip.

I don't think he addressed it because his was OK. I took mine mostly apart the other night and mine has a bad pinion gear in addition to all the slop.

You said "pot metal", do you know for a fact that it is pot metal? I was hoping not and going to weld mine up and take my miny dremel tool to reshape.

Did you ever find out if it was metal or pot metal ? One way sure to find out is to stick a magnet on it.

The shaft holds a magnet, so it is steel. If I send it away, the guy that rebuilds them says its another $40 for as bad shaft. I'm not sure if he has had new ones made or rebuilds these up with weld like I was thinking of doing. He also mentioned others that rebuild them often use JB weld for some of the fixes and he does not, so worth finding this out ahead of time if you end up sending one away for a rebuild.

I found a crack in my housing so I'm kinda on hold for now deciding what to do.

I wish I would find a link where someone has used a houshold window crank or similiar that turned out good...

does anybody know where to locate a w/s regulator, or any ideas on fabricating one for my 47 dodge? she has a tilt out w/s, but no regulator.

I think you're going to need to check ebay and save the search so when one comes up you will know about it. http://compare.ebay.com/1947-dodge-truck-windshield-crank/like/300473859955
When searching use crank out as your key words too.

I haven't rebuilt mine yet, but really contemplating a lever with a knob that hopefully work good and look cool. I'm chopping my cab right now so it may be awhile. I have also considered checking out a home improvement store for a window crank out...but I like the idea in my head on my lever better for now.

Latest posts

Back