ford 300 6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possom dodger

i was making calls looking for some go for my willys and came across a ford 300 6 which runs good and is mated to a 4 spd any one ever run one of these and would they recomend one

300 Ford 6 is a very good choice. One of Fords better ideas:D

Ditto. I drove a 76 p/u with the 300 in high school for awhile. Could NOT kill it, and believe me I tried! Totally indestructible motor. I was actually looking for one before I got my 302, but I couldn't find one with anything other than the 3-on-the-tree (wanted an auto).

thanks all

i grew up in 80s doing sbc in camaros, trucks,monte carlos, my last project was a 78 k10 bananza short bed pushing 550hp,over 20k invested over the yrs and i couldnt afford to drive so im building this car to drive and it will be my daily driver,this is my first pre '70 build so i will be asking for lots of advice
and im not afraid of critisim ,so thanks for all the help and input
Jimi:D

Love those i-6's

I have had several trucks with those motors and currently building one. you can't get a better, more reliable motor. there are also a good amount of hop up parts for them too. I am currently building a 300 .030 over, decked, port and polished, big cam, Offy intake, EFI exhaust manifolds. etc. Should be a nice motor when done. Pojected HP is close to 300 with almost 400 ft/lb torque. So if you have the chance to get one I say DO IT!!!!! is your 4 speed a granny tranny or a regular? I have been looking for a 4 speed with a standard 1st gear and have had a really hard time with it. I may have to go with a M5od Trans.

Good luck!

Indestructible is a word often used to describe the 300I6. Seems to me the manual trannys Ford put with them always had poorly separated gearing for the 300, even if it wasn't a granny. Like too big a jump from 2nd to 3rd or something.

tranny

is your 4 speed a granny tranny or a regular? I have been looking for a 4 speed with a standard 1st gear and have had a really hard time with it. I may have to go with a M5od Trans. Good luck![/QUOTE said:
thanks to all the input i am taking the motor so i may be asking advice on rebuild ,they tell me granny tranny out of a 78 3/4ton ,wich doesnt sound good for a car,so i will be tranny hunting myself

a c-4 will bolt up but it's not really a good idea for a 300. the c-6 is a better option if you go auto. If you want a good standard and are not particular with the type. the M5OD trans is a good one. I had one in a 93 and put 200k on it no problem.

a c-4 will bolt up but it's not really a good idea for a 300. the c-6 is a better option if you go auto. If you want a good standard and are not particular with the type. the M5OD trans is a good one. I had one in a 93 and put 200k on it no problem.

A couple of things to consider with the C-4 vs. C-6. C4 came stock with 300 I-6s and 302s. Plenty strong, lots of mustang drag racers use them. C6 is quite a bit heavier and bigger so will encroach on your foot room more. Also, a C4 takes 26hp to operate while a C6 takes 50+hp to operate. Thats a lot of juice to give up, esp since a stock 300 is like 130hp.

If you're going to build it way up to 300+hp, then maybe a C6 but otherwise I'd go C4.

Latest posts

Back