Ford 300-6

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
OK, I'm getting everything in place to replace my tired and thirsty 390 with a 300-6 in my 69 crewcab. It has a NP435 tranny with 3.73 gears and 32 inch tall tires. The longblock 300 has a 260 Comp cam and maybe a 240 head, can't remember for sure until I go get the engine from it's builder. I do have a dual port Offy 360 degree manifold. It came with a froze up 8007 List Holley 390 4 bbl. I also have long tube headers and a set of the split EFI exhaust manifolds.
I would like to run a 390 and the headers but a new 390 is $350 so I may have to do something different. I would like to find a small Quadrajet from an early 80s 262 V8.
Anyone here have experience with juicing up a 300? Any specific advice? I need it to pull good but I need the milage more.

Willowbilly3, I built a 300 Ford 6 several years ago and put it in a '31 A pickup. Not a good choice with 2 cylinders inside the cab. Not much room in there normally. I used articles from Hot Rod Magazine, by Ak Miller as a guide for building the engine. Your thread really has me worried because I've wracked by brain for 2 days trying to remember what I put into that engine. I've drawn a blank. Now I'm worried about old timer's disease! Thanks a lot!

I've a question, is there a meaning to your name, Willowbilly, like hillbilly only from a different place? Not meaning to be disrespctful, I really like the name, just wondering...

I ran a 300-6 in a 72 F-250 for 15 years, also a 4 speed with 3.73s. It always got 15-17mpg. My 390 gets 10 on a good day. I did build it once and had the head work done and a 260 cam but PAW could never come through with the DP and headers, I ran out of patience, time and monsy all at the same time and put the stock manifolds and carb back on.
I fully expect to get mid teens for milage, I have gotten low 20s on 300-6 before.
Maybe I should just efi the thing, I guess it;s not that hard.

Willowbilly; When I lived in Willow Alaska, some guys from Talkeetna used to tease us about being willowbillys so myself and my 2 best friend started calling ourselves that. It really took off and lots of locals wanted the hat but the three of us were tight, we all lived ocross the street from each other on an intersection. We loved snowmobiling and broke a lot of new trails in the high country. Well, Tom sold and moved down the road a few miles, he was a weekender, actually lived in Anchorage, then Big Glenn decided life was too tough and checked out one day so that left me. When I first needed a username to get on ebay I decided on willowbilly in rememberance of all the great time we had riding the fresh powder above the treeline.

Latest posts

Back