Ford 300 six

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
Anybody running a three hundred inline six in their rod? I always thought these were the toughest engines I ever saw.

gold03

I will be as soon as my winter beater disintegrates from around it. I wanna put a turbo on it. I hear they are axle twisters from all the low torque.

A few months ago Hot Rod Magazine did a feature on a Maverick with a well used 300 with turbocharger. It ran 10's. Pretty amazing. I have a 300 in the corner, just waiting...

they are tough engines! 4" bore & 4" stroke, 7 (yes seven!) main bearings hold the crank tight on the bottom end... check out "clifford performance" for all sorts of hi-po goodies for them...

would love to turbo one....talk about a stump puller![ddd

Yeah, the seven main bearings has always made me think I could get one to hold together. They were tough old farm truck engines. Never heard of one doing 10s before though!

gold03

They are a great engine! I built one for my '77 Ford truck about 10 years ago. I went with a better cam and a dual exhaust header, it sounded cool and had a lot of power. It surprised me as I usually am a V8 guy.

Now take 2 Boss 302 heads and cut off the end chambers and weld them back together, to make 1 inline six head with really big ports and valves. Then watch how it runs.

Now take 2 Boss 302 heads and cut off the end chambers and weld them back together, to make 1 inline six head with really big ports and valves. Then watch how it runs.

is that really possible?[S

sounds like it would be interesting... pics?[S[P[P

is that really possible?[S

sounds like it would be interesting... pics?[S[P[P

I remember seeing something like that done. Can't remember if it was a Boss 302 heads or 351C, not that there's much difference.

On a side note, if you want to see another cool inline engine, check out the 3.7L Mercruser, it uses a single 460 head.

Back on topic.. I've always wanted to build a 300 six rod of some sort. Came close once with a 60 Falcon I owned for a few months..

I love a 300 as well, but I thought the main problem with them is they don't like high rpms at all. 3,600 or thereabouts is the redline unless you beef up the valvetrain.

Like any other 6, it will probably cost more than a v-8 to hop it up. But it will be cool for sure.

Latest posts

Back