Ford 360 yea or nay

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamicdan

Found a 360 on c.l ....was going to run my olds394 in my 42' ford truck...but starting to re think that...what other motors would be good to start with...460 490 ...kinda new to auto world...i would like to get around 400hp 500hp .....so any ifo to steer my in right direction would be great!!!![cl

To my recollection...

360 Fords were kind of a problem motor.....not sure why that comes to mind but I recall some of the trucks they were in were doggy and didn't have the bottom end torque they were supposed to provide......not a Ford guy so my memory might be flawed..... :D

Just found a 460 on c.l ....trying to go pick it up sat.....i just want a big ass motor in my truck...like i said im new to auto world...seems like 460 is way to go...found a bunch of forums on them....but my other issue is...should i try to stay pre64 with my motor?????:confused:

Why pre 64??

Just found a 460 on c.l ....trying to go pick it up sat.....i just want a big ass motor in my truck...like i said im new to auto world...seems like 460 is way to go...found a bunch of forums on them....but my other issue is...should i try to stay pre64 with my motor?????:confused:

Is there an issue with the trans or mounting of stuff that dictates that?? [S

"period correct" ?????

Is this a restoration or a RR build???? LOL....when the heck do we worry about being politically or period correct around here???!!!

Obviously, bigger is better, so the 460 is the one to go with. :)
Well supported by aftermarket speed goodies, and you can dress it up with vintage looking valve covers to make it look like the older FE engines like the 360. The 360 probably weighs as much as the 460, with a deep skirt block design like the old Y-blocks, it was designed and introduced in the 1950's.
360's get a bad rap as a dog motor, but you have to remember when and what they were designed for. A truck engine meant to go the distance not win races. Also remember they were produced at the height (or depth?) of the smog motor days of the 1970's - retarded timing, wimpy cams, low compression, crummy 2 bbl. carbs - it made them lazy engines with poor mileage. Of course they will respond to the usual hop-up tricks and many top end parts that fit other FE engines like the 390 and 428 bolt right on, but it will cost ya plenty and in the end it's still 100 cu. in. short of a ready to go 460.....

Oh by no means am i trying to be politicaly correct...or will it be a period correct build....i mentioned ratrod on a certain forum...i thought i farted in church...needless to say i got booted off with in minutes...effed up!!! But ...just trying to keep stuff on it somewhat older.....my plans are to have all aircraft gauges...my seats are armored helicopter seats with harness...damn things weight about 100lbs......really just curious on what people thought about the 460 vs the 394 or 360...but was told to stay away from the fe motors

More thoughts on the 460...[S
They were mainly used in big Lincolns, Mercs and Fords plus in a lot of trucks and vans, motorhomes, etc., so there was never a performance version produced. Best years were the first ones, '69 or '70, before the compression drop and retarded timing gears. A good cam, intake manifold, some head work, hot spark and headers will really wake it up. Be sure to use the timing gears and chain for the early engines (or properly degree the cam) that sets the timing straight up instead of 4 degrees retarded. Later fuel injected engines have smaller intake ports and there are no aftermarket carbureted manifolds to fit their intake bolt pattern.
Most 70' and 80's 460 heads have a lump in the exhaust ports for the smog pump ports whether they were machined for the port or not. Taking the time with a carbide burr to grind them out of each port (heads off, of course :eek:) and you pick up 20 HP, more if you do some valve pocket clean-up too.
Another fun 460 fact - every time I've taken the exhaust manifolds off one, at least 4 bolts will break off in the heads :mad: - old bolts of poor quality, I guess.........

i myself would use the olds, and nothing smaller then the 390 in the fe motors. if you where closer i would try to make a deal with you as i have a 460 ford with a c-6 trans from a 79 van.

Say no to 360 and yes to 460
A 351 Windsor 4 barrel with an overdrive, is an over looked engine that has good performance and economy.

I have been doing some research on the 460.. Seems to be all kinds of support for them...my olds motor is just so expensive to build...i love all the old parts you can get...but break the bank doing so...will just leave that in my 61' olds.....the 460 has the dove heads and from what i have read...those are the heads to have....so hopefully dude meets up and i can scoop it up on saturday[cl[cl[cl

Sounds like the way to go......

460's are pretty nice and torque monsters.....I think you've made the right decision......JMHO....

The DOVE heads are the right ones. A bunch more flow, even un-ported, than the 460 heads. About the only thing you need to watch for when buying any parts for the motor would be to stay away from the Cobra Jet stuff esp. intakes. CJ heads had huge intake ports and there's no way to really get close on port matching without messing up the flow. If you want to port the DOVE heads, stay away from the bottom of the exhaust ports. I know from doing it, there's a real good chance you'll grind into the water jacket. Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back