FORD 9" ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Murphy

The party I bought my hot rod from said it has a Ford 9" diff. The #'s are as follows...

Tag #CZ-6 OAC, 79 8 930
Casting # on center chunk, C70W,4025-A 18

Help please. :eek:

The number do not match. Is there a W as the first letter on the tag.

Could you post a picture of the tag or the rear it self.

9"

I'll check again and clean the tag a little better.

Gong by a description I just found its a 8".

"If you can access the two bottom nuts/bolts with a socket its a 8" diff"

"If you need a wrench to access them its a 9" diff."

Traction lok units for 8" Fords are not as available as the 9" units, but they were made. I am sure they are available from places like Curries. The easiest route is probable the Powertrax units that install in your ring gear carrier. They are not cheap, but install in what you have, without buying another carrier and rebuilding it. 8" units are strong and good, just not as plentiful as its big brother.

8"

Somebody suggested using a Richmond Lock-Rite locker, I'm using one in my 1988 Ranger off road truck which has a 7.5" diff and it works great under all conditions.
I'll check with them and see what they have for my Ford 8".

Surprisingly, 8 inch stuff is more expensive than 9 inchers. I just paid $ 650 for a completely built Trac Lok 4.30 setup for my 27, and would buy one for my Son's T if I could find an 8 incher that reasonably.

In a light car an 8 inch rear actually has some advantages, like being lighter (less unsprung weight) and they look a little cleaner IMO because of less bulk. I've abused some 8 inch rears over the years and can't remember ever hurting one.........unless you get lots of HP and sticky tires.

Don

Latest posts

Back