Ford F150 rear end

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

Cruised by a friend of mines house today and told him about looking for a rear end for my build.Follow me he says,so we go over to a friends house of his and he has a 9 inch out of a Ford F150.We talk for a few and he asked me..How much do you want to pay..? As little as possible...:D Give me 65.00 dollars and its yours,my wife is tired of tripping over it and I am tired of moving from one end of my garage to the other...:D.I just put new brakes on it with a new hardware kit,could use new drums but they will work for you.I sit and ponder wondering if I buy it,is this going to be another part that I cant use? I sent the tag numbers to you guys here and I am getting 2 different answers. I guess the the tag doesnt say what I THOUGHT it said. W*M CJ 8*C is the first line..second line reads 2 75 9 356*. Now I used the * because there REALLY isnt a letter there,looks like a symbol..?Now the guy said he wasnt REALLY sure but he thought it had a 2.75 gear in it.I checked all of the sites that everyone sent to me and those numbers dont come up on any site.Am I looking at the tag wrong..?Should I take this tag to say a Ford Dealer..?

LOL..sorry..I got it

Yeah..I had to re-read something on one of those sites...it is a 2.75 gear and the year is 1979.Is 2.75 a good gear..? or look for something a wee bit higher..?

A 2.75 is a high gear, ( low number). It is a highway gear. Short tires will probably be okay, taller tires would make it a super high gear. But a ford 9 inch is probably the easiest 3rd member to change. But hey, think of the gas mileage you'll get.

thats what the gears in my truck desert rat i built , it had a f3 trans 3 speed with granny low, i could run 70 and 80 , on the interstate,, at about 1800 to 2000 rpm on the flat head,, was great!!

What gear though..?

What would be a good gear for that 9 inch..? Its still sitting in his garage so I havent made up my mind.

Latest posts

Back