Found a stash in the woods

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossfire

:cool:These have been hiding in the woods for along time,lot of good iron there and all can be purchased pretty cheap. if any interest pm me ,stuff is located in North Central Florida.:cool:There is parts laying everywhere,this is just half of the stuff 46 Chrysler 2-door,41 Ford convertible front end,dash and frame,4 or 5 old trucks late 30s early 40s ,couple of 64 ,65 Chevy pickups.stepside and fleetside one Ford Maverick 2-door,one 66 PLY. satelite 4-door old 68 Chevy Biscayne. I have known this old guy for 50 years and never even knew this stuff was there until he saw my old cars and he told me about them,he was talking about some scrapper stopping by and asking for them with a rediculious offer,I told him to let me see if anybody had any interest first.:cool:

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 112
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 141
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 107
Too far away for me. How solid is any of that tin? I don't know how stuff survies in FL, but those pics make some of that stuff look like tinfoil. Do you know what the scrappers were offering? I just wonder if his idea of ridiculous and my idea of what it's worth are the same. :)

I'd at least snag all the chrome, grill work, and trinkets I could - just because I'm a pack-rat that likes to surround my nest with shiny stuff.

Offered

:cool:The scrapper offered him $1000 for it all and thats a rediculious price ,as far as tinfoil,the majority of them are solid especially the trucks.Why do you think cars don"t last in Fla,if you live near the coast the salt is bad on them but thats about it.:confused:

Wasn't very clear I guess. I meant, I have no idea if things rust bad down there. Wasn't saying they do. All the green and the ripped fender in pic 5 made it look pretty bad. All our stuff in IA rusts from the road salt up. From what I've heard, NH area stuff that looks like that is usually tinfoil. Didn't know if Fl was the same way.

I assume you mean 1000$ is ridiculously low. That looks like a gold mine to me! And if I were closer, possibly a divorce. :p

Any pics of that 66?

Plymouth

:cool:the stuff doesn"t really rust to bad here.Heres a pic or two of some of the other stuff.:cool:I even found an old petal car but scarfed it up.All the trucks were ex state road dept trucks as the old guy worked there for years.

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 88
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 107
Iron in fla

I was born and raised in Fla and there is plenty of old cars and trucks around,most of the Fla. guys that say that aren"t from Fla.anyway.You"re not going to find the stuff at a retirement community or as they call them now Villages.Got to get out and look for it.:cool:

coop and friends

get you friends to gether pool your money form a coopstrip the cars of all the good stuff, junk the rest you could make some $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and have some fun. my 2 cents robertbandit

Crossfire, I wood be very interested in getting down there and looking at the trucks if you think they can be saved. Im in GA so it would not be too too bad for me to drive down.

Saving the old iron.all talk no action.

Going back up to the stash next weekend the 25th-26th to see how many trips I will need to make to get all the stuff home. If interested in any or all of it let me know. All can be bought for $2500. If I haul it all home 150 miles prices go up a lot. PM IF INTERESTED.All of this stuff is located near Tallahassee,Florida.Money talks and you know what walks.:cool:

I was born and raised in Fla and there is plenty of old cars and trucks around,most of the Fla. guys that say that aren"t from Fla.anyway.You"re not going to find the stuff at a retirement community or as they call them now Villages.Got to get out and look for it.:cool:

Congrats on the score. Good deal!
I'll stand on my previous statements on this subject. South Florida and North Florida might as well be two different states, both in distance and geographics. I wasn't born in Fla but I've resided here since the mid-70's. There was very little vintage tin here then and even less, if any now. It's just not the same as other parts of the state. Thre are no fields, old uninhabited properties, land with an old hoarder living on them, or anything else of that nature. It's a concrete jungle with nothing to search, or it's swamp. If you came south of West Palm Beach and located some old tin, you would be my hero. Many folks with better connections than me have tried and there is just nothing here, not even parts stashes. Driving 400 miles to search for finds is just not feasible for the South Florida folks. Heck, there are not even any old buildings here. Everything gets demolished every few years and rebuilt. I would really like to find something here or hear about someone finding something here, but it's very unlikely to happen.

STUFF IN fLORIDA.

Went to Sarasota just 2-weeks ago looked at 55 gasser,2-47 Plymouths and an old T-bucket all at one location. Also have found cars in Naples and Ft. Myers. The west coast is alot more countryside compared to the concrete jungle of the southeast coast. Also guy in Wachula has a stash he is selling. Has a 36 Dodge,57 chevy and other stuff. Just got to get out and look. Its not going to happen only for the lucky that you will find stuff close to home. If you can"t drive a couple of hundred miles to look at old cars or trucks you really don"t need them anyway.Get responces all the time from people just living 50 miles away claiming that its such a long drive. Hell I will not hesitate to hook up the trailer and do a road trip if its a good deal but have plenty of commumication with seller beforehand.

I'm with Gastrick on this one, Florida may have SOME tin, but not nearly the quantity (or quality) of lots of other States. I am from Pennsylvania originally and my Sundays were spent driving into the rural areas and trying to peer behind barns and bushes. There were tons of cars just laying around back then.

Later on we moved to North Carolina, and I was in heaven because the cars sitting around down there were mostly rustfree (comparitively), and plentiful. Then we moved to California, and old cars were everywhere, but way above my budget. I guess if you got out into the desert or remote small towns you could find stuff, but in LA the finds were already found. :D

When we moved to Florida I thought it would be a haven for tin, and while there is some, the salt air has taken it's toll on lots of it. There may be barns and large plots of land in the northern part of the State, but here in my area (So. Florida) there are so many restrictions via code enforcement and other issues, that you just can't drive around and see much in the way of old cars. Is there some? Sure, but proportionate to other areas, hardly any......and the stuff you do find is either bad or the guy has been watching too much Barrett-Jackson.

You mention you have found cars in Sarasota and even Naples, in my backyard, and I have too. I know of one place where the guy buys up all the old tin he can find and sells it at swap meets. I have been to his place and he does have some old cars, but most of it is very far gone and not cheap. Going to his place is frustrating because trees are growing out of most of the rusted hulks and the parts he has removed are piled up so that you really have no idea what they are.

That is why guys like Bill and I drool when we see what our fellow Americans in places like Oregon, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, etc can find in such greater abundance. My dream is to take a driving trip out west and hit some of these old tin goldmines, some day. It seems that for some reasons Americans moving west took all the good tin with them and they ended up just parked in States west of the Mississippi.

Don

Old tin.

Out west about 10 to 15 years ago you could buy some good cars at a good price,but the coming of the internet and The Barrett Jackson TV coverage has raised those prices too.My younger brother works for a car hauling service out of Ft. Myers and he told me most the old iron he sees is in the northeast.Still alot of stuff on the backroads of Alabama but just like everywhere else. Internet exposure has shot the prices up or you get that dreaded line I am going to fix that up one day. You pass the place 2-years later and its still there ,just a couple of inches deeper in the dirt.:cool:

Junk?....NOT!

Hey Crossfire
I, for one, appreciate the fact that you're tryin' to save that tin. I see it because I did the same thing some years back. I bought 310 (that's right....310!!!) cars from an old junkyard/farm. I had 6 months to move em. The old farmer wanted $15000 for all of them.

I called 15 car guys I knew and had them meet me there. I told them for $1000 each, we would number the cars and they would get 20 numbers out of a hat. The oldest car was a 1948, the latest a 1960! 10 convertibles!
Many were too far gone....many were not. All the guys passed.

So I got stuborn and bought them anyway!!! I saved a lot of them but, regretfully, crushed a lot of them. ....still wish I hadn't. But I don't regret saving the ones I did.

This was 1980 and, would you believe, I stll have a few parts in my barn? So, keep savin' em, brother....you'll be glad you did.

Lynn

Latest posts

Back