four wheel drive rat rod?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tburnett

So I have this 31 four door slantwindshield model A body that I am building, actually it is on hold due to finances, but with it sitting there I can't help but brainstorm about it. I have been thinking of building it as a four wheel drive with, say, 35" tires on it. not an over the top rockcrawler, but a driveable, fenderless, fourwheel drive rat rod. Does anybody have any input or pics of any? I have seen the pink 32 that was on the 4x4 scene for years, but I'm curious if there are any more out there.

There are a bunch of them out there Terry, (at least two underway at my house).
A little searching should find a couple of different threads here.

Here's on fer ya!!! :D:D:D

BoB

Attachments

• hot-rod-jeep.jpg
    hot-rod-jeep.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 129
Jeff I need to make it out there to see you sometime. I haven't found many pics , but I am leaning pretty heavily toward making it 4x4. It all depends on what parts I can scare up. It is all still on the drawing board for another few months anyway.

There used to be an old Scout frame laying in the road ditch near my place in Willow. I always thought that looked like a great place to start, nice kickup on both ends so it wouldn't have to be so high.

There is a '56 Ford F100 around here very tastefully done on a newer 4 x 4 frame. I normally don't like them but that one is cool. I had a cousin do that to a 1969 Mach 1, that was not so cool.

I like the how the front axle looks on that one. My idea would be to use a chain drive to get the front driveshaft around the motor. It would be sick to see a rat burnin asphalt with all four!
attachment.php

cool but look close, no front driveline, it would have to come through the grill.

Yeah, I just like the axle as compared to a ugly Ford twin, etc. Not just the grill, how about the radiator and motor?! I thought of a chain drive linking the front pinion to a offset driveshaft.

That would work great, but that suspension would look fugly on a fenderless. No worse, or maybe even better than regular IFS I guess.

4x4 Rat Rod in the weeds - another future project on my list....

Not the best picture. But here is the 40 Ford pickup I put on a 69 wagoneer chassis.

Attachments

• my pickups 001.jpg
    my pickups 001.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 13
I was thinking you could fab the gear boxes on the end of a dropped axle.

Are there any straight axles that don't use a kingpin? Otherwise it looks like you'd have to fab the entire axle ends too since the shaft would have to go through the center of the pivot.

I have a '29 four door that I am planning to make into a 4x4. Got almost everything except the time to put it together. Using a 250 chevy straight six and a 700r4 tranny and transfer case. I am using a ford truck rear and a suzuki samauri front end. It looks really good in my head. We will have to see though. I think it will be way up in the air to clear all the workings. I kinda like the truck in this pic.4582_3.jpg

Latest posts

Back