Frame Help,

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seabee1989

I always look for the answer everywhere else before i post a thread. I just started my first rat. I am building it from the bottom up. I am starting with a 32' Ford frame. I have done some research and came up with this. anyone please tell me what you all think, like i said i am new to the rat rod world. From what I read online and in other books and magazines i need to remove/ or add cross members to the frame. I saw online people were using 3 sided Chanel cross members, I have never heard of those and cant seem to find anything on them, what they look like, what they are, and where to get them. Also i read that i need to place a new cross member every 12 inches? can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thank You

Mike

Mike, before you do anything, put down the torches and post some pictures of the frame you have so we can see what you are starting with. An original 32 frame is worth serious money and even the K members go for big bucks, so you potentially could be destroying something of real value if you start removing parts and modifying it. Please post the pictures asap. Original 32 frames do not come along every day and are sought after.

The deal on any frame is that they need stiffening and the way they do that is by adding crossmembers. These can be either straight across, or in the shape of a K, or an X, or anything that accomplishes that task. You are getting bad information about them needing to be every one foot apart..........no one does that and it would be almost impossible to do. Every couple of feet maybe, but not one foot.

The C channel you have heard about can either be off the shelf stock from a steel supply house, if they have it in the right dimensions for what you need, or, you can have a steel supplier bend up a C channel out of something line 3/16 flat stock. That is what my Son did when he built the frame for his roadster pickup. He had them bend it up to his dimensions and then he cut and shaped it into a modified X member and then welded that in place.

If you truly have an original 32 frame there you are a lucky guy but you can destroy that very quickly by just tearing into it, not knowing how to do it correctly. PLEASE POST THOSE PICTURES. :)

Here is the frame my Son built for his car, showing the crossmembers he installed.

Don

dansframeback2ndtime004.jpg

And this is the model a frame I built for my 27.

27framepainted003.jpg

IMG_5735_zps81e6e24c.jpg

IMG_5734_zpsa46022ca.jpg

IMG_5733_zpseb4bcec1.jpg

here they are, the guy i got it from said it was a 32, if it is sweet, if not its the base of my project

The thing that has me stumped is how straight the frame is... it doesnt taper in much anywhere...
And the sharp kick up and back down.... just ringing any bells for me on the frame...

With all that being said, is it worth working with, any suggestions for building it. Anything would help

It looks like a early 40's Chevy truck frame to me. What are your plans? Early trucks are the foundation for many of the projects on this forum. It is usable, definitely not a 32 Ford frame...

Yep, my guess is 40 ish GM or Mopar. Well, the bright side is that it looks pretty straight. What body are you planning on putting on it ? I think it is a little heavy duty for something like a 20's or 30's body, but something like a pickup body from the 40's or 50's would be ok on it.

Is that the rear end from it standing up against the wall with the torque tube attached ? If so, it is a Chevy frame.

Don

I couldn't find anything with that sharp of a kickup and down on a chevy, kinda has me baffled, I was hoping someone else could nail this one, its kinda driving me nuts...

Yep, my guess is 40 ish GM or Mopar. Well, the bright side is that it looks pretty straight. What body are you planning on putting on it ? I think it is a little heavy duty for something like a 20's or 30's body, but something like a pickup body from the 40's or 50's would be ok on it.

Is that the rear end from it standing up against the wall with the torque tube attached ? If so, it is a Chevy frame.

Don

That was the rearend the frame came with, i am putting a bucket on it with a 50's chevy pick up bed on it! Gonna keep it a long bed an put a heavier type of fuel tank to help with the weight, and to help with the weigh it down some more i am going to do all steel work no fiberglass body work.

Welcome to RRR Seabee and good luck with your build.

DR, it's a 41-46 Chevy pickup frame...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• !41 46 chassis.jpg
    !41 46 chassis.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 83
  • !41 46 frame.jpg
    !41 46 frame.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 83
  • !41 46 frame2.jpg
    !41 46 frame2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 84
I was asking around to a couple local guys here in my town, they told me i need to do a mock up of where everything wants to sit. then mark where i need ad steel, but they also told me just to box the frame every 12 inches using the 3 sided channel cross members, any advice. is this a good idea. I know it will make the frame very stiff and rigid, should there be some flex?

Boxing the frame is a good idea. Typically the rails are boxed the whole length. At least between the furthest suspension attachment points (most forward for the front suspension and most rearward for the rear suspension).
You should mock it up before you build/install any cross members that way you won't be cutting anything out because the motor, trans, master cylinder etc. hits. I would also recommend only tack welding it in until you know it's in the right spot. Good solid tacks that can take a little abuse but are also easily cut out if need be.

Latest posts

Back