Frame higher on one side..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

I was just putting together the last pieces together before I do my final welding of the frame.As I was standing there looking down I noticed that one side looked higher in the back then the other....stopped and too a measurement...Yep,one side is about 1/4 inch higher then the other side.I really cant think of a way to raise it that much without some MAJOR cutting and re-welding.I dont know if just heating it and bending will do what I need doing..In other words...Leave it or try and match it up..?

Fix it properly and chalk it up to a lesson learned. The frame should be in some type of fixture before you weld it or otherwise it WILL move on you. What are you using to jig it?

What are you using for tubing? You said its not finish welded. Before you go and throw the frame in the scrap bin try welding the opposite side at a higher tempature to try and match. So if you wanted it to warp up weld the top side first and hotter. If you wanted the other side to draw down weld the bottom hotter.

Im not saying this will definatly work, but you should give it a shot. You may get lucky. Whats the worst that could happen? your frame wont be level?

Frame

Problem fixed...The rear rails were out on whack.I am using 2 x 3 3/16ths wall.I dont have the money for fancy Jigs...wish I did...Use the old tried and true method..CEMENT FLOOR...!!! I just heated just behind the rear "Z" and nudged it up a abit...all is safe...

Here is a way that I manipulate metal when i mess up or have to straighten an axle. Heat the opposite side of place you want to bend and place a wet rag on it and watch it draw up. I have moved axle tubes over 1".

I noticed that one side looked higher in the back then the other....stopped and too a measurement...Yep,one side is about 1/4 inch higher then the other side.

I've heard old timers say a 1/4" was within "factory" specs! :D

ISore

I had the same problem on my front end when I welded in the 1/4" gussets. It was out by about a 1/4" as well. I bought a cheap little torch and used the wet rag and it went about 1/8" per try. Two tries and it was absolutely perfect. I couldn't afford a jig either and didn't even notice until I posted this picture.

Sean

Attachments

• P7120475.JPG
    P7120475.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 47

Latest posts

Back