frame ideas please!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyRunnin_on_Bowtie

hey i have my 48-50 f1 body now ready for a four inch chop and new floor board.....my buddy wanted to build me a custom frame for about a grand and...well lets just say my tax returns werent as good as i wanted lol...

any common frames used for f1 bodies? and is the grand worth it?
i plan on body droping it so a knotch and frame work is gonna take place.
and i have a chevy 350 sb in line soooooo....[S

hey i have my 48-50 f1 body now ready for a four inch chop and new floor board.....my buddy wanted to build me a custom frame for about a grand and...well lets just say my tax returns werent as good as i wanted lol...

really depends on what you are trying to achieve -- are you just looking to have an f-1 on a new frame - with the entire body and all - or are you wanting to use just the cab and build a fenderless -- do you have any welding or frame building experience - what kind of access do you have to material and prices etc..

if hes just talking about a standard - simple frame
in my opinion it seems a little high but i dont know what hes paying for the metal or what all hes incorporating into that.

Frame

If your going to run fenders and eveything I would go with an s10 frame, you can pick up complete s10 trucks for a few hundred bucks, then you have a good suspension system, easy 350 install, and great brakes, set the body down on the frame like a body drop, "mini truck term" and you have the best of both worlds.

Who is your buddy?

By your terminology I am assuming you come from a mini-truck background?

lol yea ive had mini trucks. i want to go fenderless....ill post a pic of what i want to end up with.

Attachments

• 222222.jpg
    222222.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 74
really depends on what you are trying to achieve -- are you just looking to have an f-1 on a new frame - with the entire body and all - or are you wanting to use just the cab and build a fenderless -- do you have any welding or frame building experience - what kind of access do you have to material and prices etc..

if hes just talking about a standard - simple frame
in my opinion it seems a little high but i dont know what hes paying for the metal or what all hes incorporating into that.

i have a little welding experience...alot of friends thatdo it for a living. material is not an issue.

new frame

HI
Building a frame is better then adapting another frame for your use.
Why new material, built to fit, and using suspension you want.
The pictures you listed have an axel front no newer frame has that.
You get to put the drop you want, wheelbase, and your ride height.
You just need to come up with the dimensions for placement. I’m sure some one here could give you some basic frame dimensions for a start and you can tweak it for your liking.
Your welding buddies can help with the welding and use material that is strong enough like 2” X 6” X 11 Ga. frame rails.
Attached is a frame I built for a 30 Tudor Sedan some time ago.
And a frame for a 30 fiberglass woodie I built for another guy.
Get a plan and work out the details and go for it.

have fun
Tom

Attachments

• newframe2A.jpg
    newframe2A.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 69
  • newframe3A.jpg
    newframe3A.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 64
  • newframe5A.jpg
    newframe5A.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 67
  • street rod gone (1)a.jpg
    street rod gone (1)a.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 50
  • don's frame 1A.jpg
    don's frame 1A.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 60
  • don's frame 1Ab.jpg
    don's frame 1Ab.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 61
  • don's frame 2AB.jpg
    don's frame 2AB.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 59
  • don's woodie.jpg
    don's woodie.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I used a T-Bucket frame from Spirit Industries for my F1. http://shop.spiritcars.com/frames/cat_2.html
I ordered it as a bare frame without the brackets attached so I could put them where I needed. When I bought it the price of steel was way up and the frame was about the same price I would have paid for the metal.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

015-3.jpg

See my build thread in my signature.

Don't forget Ron Pope for frames and stuff. http://www.eztbucket.com/Home_Page.html

Last edited:

How many frame has your "buddy " built . Go look at his work by talking to the guys he built them for . Neither cheap or expensive guarantees a correct well built safe frame . Remember your about to start on a project that has too be built right . You can kill your self or some innocent person with a "wrong" built part .

I'd go with a homemade frame I tried to use a ranger and after banging away for a year or two I trashed it because it was ugly and un safe with some of it's mods. If you can go with a new tube but if you can't dacotas s10 newer rangers tacomas or even older frames can be found.

here was that ranger frame

I zd it relocated the suspension mounts to lower it cut the coils relocated the motor mounts, tranny mounts, turned the struts into radius rods, and then trashed it haha coulda made a frame in 1/4 the time.

Attachments

• 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back