frame measurements ???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drbquinn

i have a 51 ford p/u , im building a rat out of it just need mesurements for the frame how wide, how long, and wat is the most common size z does everyone use, and wat size tubing ,gauge??? thanx

That's a very broad question to say the least. I know what your asking but the answer is as varied as the vehicles on this site. I'm going to build a 51 f1 too. There's no real standard in place but I suppose there might be some similarities between a few trucks here. It's really more a matter of what you want and how to make it work. DMW56 and I both have aftermarket T bucket frames. His is already built and mine is in the parts gathering stage. Most other guys build their own. There again the design is up to you. You want a really low riding cab with 2" of clearance or one that sits up higher? You could go with a 21" Z for a low riding cab or as little as 10" if you want. The possibilities are almost endless. Airbags or coil overs? It goes on and on!

My first suggestion would be to look over some F1 builds on here first.
Whatever you do - Please DON"T use a S10 Chevy frame if your not going to run fenders. They look OK on a full fendered truck but look really awkward and take alot away from one without fenders.

2x3 or 2X4 square tubular frames are the best choice in most peoples opinions. They are strong and hold up well especially if your running lots of horsepower.

For starters here is a link to my friend DMW56's 51 f1 build thread. There's a ton of information in there.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3567&page=30

Here's another build based on a f1 built by my buddy Tiny1. It's a whole lot different than the truck DMW56 built. Both are very cool but really show how different one truck can be from another. I hope you find all this helpful. Both guys are regular members here so I'm sure they both would be happy to answer questions - right fella's?? :)

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=353&page=11

Thunder

Last edited:
cool thanx

thanx for the info and i got it all figured out now and ya most definately not goin to used an s10 frame lol does not look good at all in my apinion on a fender less rat i post some of my project soon under builds

Latest posts

Back