frame question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensens ratrods

1953 ford f100 i have a 1994 s10 .or should i use the 53 frame .also has the flat head v8 in it but locked up should i rebuild it .or put newer motor in it. running no front clip .looking to build a older style rat rod . what is the best way to do this thanks

IMHO fenderless trucks on S-10 frames never look right. The radiator will sit way to far out in front of the wheels and the front suspension is unattractive. They work great for full fendered early 50s Chevy pickups ect.
Go with the 53, you can even get a dropped axle for that too.

53 f100

IMHO fenderless trucks on S-10 frames never look right. The radiator will sit way to far out in front of the wheels and the front suspension is unattractive. They work great for full fendered early 50s Chevy pickups ect.
Go with the 53, you can even get a dropped axle for that too.

The steering ona s10 is in front too and the steering box is way up front and exposed , is what I dislike about them. An idea I've had was to put a rack and pinion behind the suspension, switch the spindles from side to side (so the arms face back) don't know if this will work or not, I don't have an S10 around here to look at.

Attachments

• !BobvBzw!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-DkEuY-t54vGBLn(llf2p!~~_3.jpg
    !BobvBzw!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-DkEuY-t54vGBLn(llf2p!~~_3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 19
The steering ona s10 is in front too and the steering box is way up front and exposed , is what I dislike about them. An idea I've had was to put a rack and pinion behind the suspension, switch the spindles from side to side (so the arms face back) don't know if this will work or not, I don't have an S10 around here to look at.

I would think the geometry would be WAY messed up doing that...could end up with bumpsteer.

Also, you have to consider that the oil pan sump sits RIGHT behind that crossmember. Plus, the frame rails droop down right behind the spring pockets. I doubt there'd be room to pull off a rear-steer rack.

I've seen a posting here where a guy swapped a front steer rack onto an S-truck chassis for a fenderless truck. It cleaned up the frame without that bulky gearbox there, but the steering is still ahead of the axle centerline...

There may be somebody who's pulled off rear-steer and can prove me wrong. This isn't Gospel, just some observations from looking at the POS S10 in my garage...;)

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back