Frame questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ren92

I have a question about when should you think about putting fishplates on a frame? This the first frame I have ever built and to be honest kinda nervous about it in some ways. I used 2x4 3/16" steel and did grind the edge for better pen. I am using air front and rear and I am going to try to use the frame as the air tank.Should use plates at all the welded points or is that an overkill?

I like overkill. It can't hurt. I think you need to worry about the places where the frame kicks up, as they would have the most stress.

We do overkill too. Even welding in a small round piece of plate over that joint will help take some of the stain off of it. Probably not needed, but we sleep better at night. :)

Don

I guess that is the way I will go better to have overkill I guess.lol Plus my little boy get a kick out the welding part when we work on the car.That way he gets to wear his helmet.

The fact that you're going to use the frame for air means you really don't want any cracks in the worst way!! Probably isn't overkill in this instance!!

Latest posts

Back