Frame Questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevroligon

ok just drove the new addition to the family(1930 Tudor sedan) home today, Starting on removing body from frame looking for advise on what is the best least expensive way to go. I am running small block 383 with 700r4 trans.

Are you looking to buy or build it? If buying I've seen a lot of guys use S-10 frames and "Z" the front and rear to create a dropped look. You'd have to take a bunch of measurements to see what would work with the sedan...someone else might have more info on that.

Well either box exsisting or buy one already done but the price varies from 10k to 1k dunno what ones are better i guess is what i am trying to figure out

Depending on your metal working and welding skills if the frame is in good shape I would box it...lots cheaper if you can cut the box pieces yourself. New frame is very pricey.

I can weld and got a plasma cutter but wondering bout the strength of boxing vrs buying also some of the bouht frames have the kicked up rear to lower rear suspension never did anything like that before that is the reason i am thinking bout buying a frame

If you're not comfortable with doing the kick up that would be a reason to buy a frame. As for the boxing..if done properly it would be very strong...lots of folks have done it. Look around here and you'll see a few builds with it done.

do you know anywere or anyone that has plans or a guide on the kick up cause i would like to try it but need alittle guidence or a inexpensive frame supplier?

Rat Rod Model A Ford frame, Swept and Z'd Trad Hot Rod

what u think bout this one found it flea bay

Attachments

• !BvulGHQ!2k~$(KGrHqMOKisEwPBtPuqgBMFucGQW6!~~_12.jpg
    !BvulGHQ!2k~$(KGrHqMOKisEwPBtPuqgBMFucGQW6!~~_12.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 38
That frame looks good, but it's hard to tell if everything is right with it without being up close. The kick up isn't very difficult. You'll have to do some research. Lots of reading and asking questions. There are a few books out that can help as well. Tex Smith wrote one of them. Maybe check with a local club as well...we rodders tend to be very helpful and you might find someone willing to come give you some pointers.

this is the look im going for

Attachments

• 1930-Ford-Model-A-Sedan-Yellow-sy-1152x864.jpg
    1930-Ford-Model-A-Sedan-Yellow-sy-1152x864.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 0607rc_01_z+1929_model_a_sedan+front_passenger_view.jpg
    0607rc_01_z+1929_model_a_sedan+front_passenger_view.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 10
  • ddb2b2eb-1314156846-d_pic.jpg
    ddb2b2eb-1314156846-d_pic.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 8
I'm pretty sure that frame is custom made. The stock frames that I've seen don't angle up in the front like that. You can also see where they cut and welded the frame at the bottom of that front incline.

Buy an aftermarket Model A frame. It will be new metal and stronger than the original, even boxed. I have more money in my stock A frame getting it right than if I had gone the aftermarket route. Riley Automotive seems to have a pretty good rep, from what I have heard.

Don

Latest posts

Back