Frame questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbj188

Im sure this has probably been asked before but...

How hard is it to build a frame for a hot rod?
What kind of tubing is the best?
How do you make a jig or keep the frame straight when welding?

Im sure Ill have more questions..

Thanks for your time,

Thomas [;)

Most people use 2x3 or 2x4 3/16th" wall rectangular tubing

you can use a frame table or weld 1x1 tubing across the top of your frame rails when welding it together to keep it from moving

It is best to start out building your mock up frame with 2x4 lumber that way you can get it dialed in right where you want it

Thanks for your time,

Thomas [;)

It depends on who is building it, and what tools they have.
3/16th wall 2x3 or 2x4 rec. tube works well. Clamping the frame down to a flat surface as it is put together works well also.

How hard is it to build a foundation for a house ? For some people it is a piece of cake for others it would be impossible. Same thing with building a frame for a car, as it is the foundation onto which everything else goes. It has to be right or the car will not be right.

If you are asking this question probably you are questioning your own abilities, and that is good. It takes more than a 110 volt welder and some tubing to make a proper, safe frame. Yes, it can be done without a jig (I built my first frame 45 years ago on a dirt floored garage) but to do it right you need something to clamp the rails to while welding or they will pull out of shape and not be square to each other.

With the cost of tubing these days it is almost as cheap to buy a frame from one of the many companies cranking them out. You may not get exactly the configuration you want (the only way to do that is to custom build one precisely the shape you need) and you also have to be careful because there are guys out there turning out some REALLY bad frames (Rats Nest for example) but there are also some really good ones (Like our own RPM on here).

The final factor is how much equipment do you have. IMO you need at least a good 220 Volt Mig or arc welder, lots of clamps, a way to clamp the frame down, and a good knowledge of welding. I have been doing this for 50 years and still do not weld my own frames........they might hold but are not very pretty, and my Son has taken over that job in our shop. Before I had him I would tack weld parts then have a pro welder finish the job..........there is no shame in knowing your own limitations. :)

Don

thanks for all the replies...i tried looking around here and on the net...the nearest thing i found was a model a rolling chasis for 1400 bucks...I do not have that kind of money right now and it looks rough...I have an uncle in law that is a professional welder and may have access to tubing...I thought about having him weld one for me...because I am not a welder...my welds when I tried looked like bird droppings lol...

Thanks for your time,

Thomas [;)

Did you try a search?
This is a great 1st step :) I probably spend more time researching aspects of my build then i actually spend executing. Make sure you are open minded in your searches. I look at as many answers to my questions till i find a common answer to the question, then use that because there are alot of guys out there that are great at thinking outside the box, but if you get the same answer over and over, its safe to say that that answer is a tried and true method.

It is best to start out building your mock up frame with 2x4 lumber that way you can get it dialed in right where you want it
When i go to start my frame, i will be using this method. Its very close to actual 2x4 steel dimensions and you can moch up the entire frame and modify as needed prior to cutting the expensive material.

It depends on who is building it, and what tools they have.
3/16th wall 2x3 or 2x4 rec. tube works well. Clamping the frame down to a flat surface as it is put together works well also.

This is a repetitive answer i hear constantly. Ive seen guys built a "frame table" to build their frames using large i beams. I think time would well spent building a table that you know will provide a solid surface to weld on and keep things straight.

How hard is it to build a foundation for a house ? For some people it is a piece of cake for others it would be impossible. Same thing with building a frame for a car, as it is the foundation onto which everything else goes. It has to be right or the car will not be right.

If you are asking this question probably you are questioning your own abilities, and that is good. It takes more than a 110 volt welder and some tubing to make a proper, safe frame. Yes, it can be done without a jig (I built my first frame 45 years ago on a dirt floored garage) but to do it right you need something to clamp the rails to while welding or they will pull out of shape and not be square to each other.

With the cost of tubing these days it is almost as cheap to buy a frame from one of the many companies cranking them out. You may not get exactly the configuration you want (the only way to do that is to custom build one precisely the shape you need) and you also have to be careful because there are guys out there turning out some REALLY bad frames (Rats Nest for example) but there are also some really good ones (Like our own RPM on here).

The final factor is how much equipment do you have. IMO you need at least a good 220 Volt Mig or arc welder, lots of clamps, a way to clamp the frame down, and a good knowledge of welding. I have been doing this for 50 years and still do not weld my own frames........they might hold but are not very pretty, and my Son has taken over that job in our shop. Before I had him I would tack weld parts then have a pro welder finish the job..........there is no shame in knowing your own limitations. :)

Don

This is a GREAT answer. When i started my build, i researched the same thing and decided that building a frame is not a good thing to start out on. I ended up basing my build off of 100% stock factory parts for a few reasons. I to am no master welder. I will not sacrifice the safety of me, my family and other people due to pride of trying to build my own frame.
Its fantastic that your questioning your abilities! Be conservative as to what you know you can and cant do. The rat rod culture living on, the safety of everyone and the enjoyment of building your projects depend on it!

Do your research and don't just jump in. You don't want to get in over your head and get discouraged and drop the project. My project has taken me about 3 times longer then i ever expected, but that's because i want to stay around to enjoy it.

If your not comfortable with your chicken poop welds, find a school in your area that has welding courses. That can be found at good prices and they will give you hands on learning that a book can never give you. I have watched TONS of videos and have learned off them. I also keep EVERY single piece of scrap metal because when it comes time to weld something important, i can find a couple pieces of the same material and practice. If i can make the welds look good and are strong on the scrap, i will move onto the structure.
Keep in mind that welding takes practice! I learned sheet metal welding chopping my top. Learning sucks and you WILL make mistakes, but as long as you correct them and learn something from them your golden.
I have noticed that i have to have a good clear mind when welding. There are days that i start a welding project, then find that today is not the day for it. The welds look like crap, they will fail, or are overall just not up to par. I will put the trigger down for the day and move onto something else. The next day i came back with a clear mind, everything comes out 100% better.

By the way, welcome to the site. You've come to the right place to ask questions and learn! I have learned a GREAT ton from these guys and if you have an open mind, you will too.
Good luck with the project!

jmlcolorado....loved your youtube video...after watching your video i was thinking of using the same type of frame you did now...found one close buy for 125 frame only...

Things to keep in mind

Minimum tools required

220 volt MIG welder
Various clamps
angle grinder
saw to cut the metal
tri square
framing square
scribe
3/8 hand drill
1/2 hand drill
Drill press (might get by without it but it sure is handy)

Consumables

Welding wire
Grinding discs
Sanding Discs
Drill bits (I list these as consumables as they are always breaking)
welding tips
shielding gas

Material

Rectangluar tubing (2x4x3/16 wall)
various thicknesses of flat plate, 1/4", 3/16" etc
Round tubing (depends on your design but you will most likely need some)

Experience

Must be an excellent welder
Must know how to fabricate and keep thing square
Must be able to create two identical frame rails
Must have a solid plan and know where everything is going to go, engine, body, fuel tank, etc.

You could build one without a proper frame table but it is highly recommended.

If for some reason you did not have all of these minimum items you would most likely be better off purchasing the frame.

If you are adventerous and want to try it yourself then by all means go for it.

Just remember that when your rod is done and cruising down the interstate at 70 that your life will be dependent on the quality of that chassis.

...I have an uncle in law that is a professional welder and may have access to tubing...I thought about having him weld one for me...

That sounds like the best idea. If you don't want to weld it yourself, you can do a lot of the planning, measuring, and cutting yourself - maybe even tack things in place - and then have your Uncle come in and finish weld it all. Hit the RRR builds section and study some of the frame layouts there. It really helps to have some of the basic parts for placement and fit - axles, cab, motor... If you don't, you will likely cause yourself a lot more work down the road.

Young'un, there's some very sound advice in this thread........take it!

I just started my frame build and I've already made a couple of mistakes! The first one is I'm using 2"x3" .120 wall rec tubing. Probably should have gone with 3/16" but too late now! It's a T roadster frame with a turbo'd 4 banger so hopefully I'll be OK. Gathered most all my parts first. Picked up a 220v welder and took a welding course at the local JC.

Mocked up a frame outta 2x4 lumber first.

P2230003.jpg

Someone gave me a custom bedframe made outta 2x3 rectangular steel for free. Made a couple of mods and now I have a frametable!

PC250037.jpg

Made myself a stationary bandsaw to slice my steel.

P3240016.jpg

Bought a ton of clamps off of Craigslist for dirt cheap then clamped the crap outta the steel so it wouldn't warp during welding.

P3100013.jpg

I'm just finishing up the subframe now and will be moving on to the actual frame this weekend.

P3100011.jpg

P3300002.jpg

please bevel all tubing to a 45* before welding it. you want 100% weld. not beveling your tubing will only result in a cover up pass and it will not be strong nor 100% welded. once you grind your weld down you will have bare min holding it together.

please bevel all tubing to a 45* before welding it. you want 100% weld. not beveling your tubing will only result in a cover up pass and it will not be strong nor 100% welded. once you grind your weld down you will have bare min holding it together.

If you're referring to mine, it is beveled. It's only 1/8" steel so it may not look like it but if you look closely, you'll see that it is. Thanks!

Frame tables and junk

The 2x4 wood is a good idea I was but didn't and almost zd it too much@ 7" I didn't use a frame table but I did tack the left and right sides together to make them match as I welded and then just split the welds and add your cross members. I saw a guy on here use an old ladder style ( probably 40s-50s ) truck frame as his frame table and I always thought since alot of people trash old trailer house just buy the insane left under neath . Ought to be cheap! For a frame jig. Lastly I did all my own welding . I'm not certified but I was supervised. It's okay to ask for help. Ps Rpm frames are nice in picture and fairly cheap nice guy too! I like old 30-50 frames they look tuff and original.

Latest posts

Back