frame suggestions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmainhotrods

I am getting ideas on best frame to use for a 51 chevy truck cab?(rat truck)The cab is on a 1/2 ton longbed frame.This cab is going to channeled,maybe chopped.I want it to be really low,yet streetable.I have access to a 80's model s10 frame.Would you modify/shorten the original?use and modify the s10?or just make or buy the frame to my specs needed?I am trying to build it really cheap.............. attached pics are the route I am going with it.

97d8_1.jpg (21.8 KB)
1943_1.jpg (29.0 KB)
d18a_1.jpg (19.0 KB)
a4820580-w.jpg (73.6 KB)

Attachments

• 97d8_1.jpg
    97d8_1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 1943_1.jpg
    1943_1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 61
  • d18a_1.jpg
    d18a_1.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 56
  • a4820580-w.jpg
    a4820580-w.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
if you are not going to run fenders up front i would go with the original or build you own i dont think the s10 frames look good out for everyont to see

if you are not going to run fenders up front i would go with the original or build you own i dont think the s10 frames look good out for everyont to see

I agree with OldSkool. I'm running a Mustang II on my '41 Ford PU but am running fenders to sorta hide that... MII setup's just handle *so* well (IMO)!!!

BoB

S10 frames are good for full fendered rods. Just don't look right on a fenderless. By the time you modify an S10 frame to work and look right you will have more time and money in it than building a new one.

I have a 51 Ford F1 and used a T-bucket type frame from Spirit Industries. I got the frame for less than I could buy the steel. Steel prices are down now so you might consider making one.

S10 frames are good for full fendered rods. Just don't look right on a fenderless. By the time you modify an S10 frame to work and look right you will have more time and money in it than building a new one.

I have a 51 Ford F1 and used a T-bucket type frame from Spirit Industries. I got the frame for less than I could buy the steel. Steel prices are down now so you might consider making one.

I strongly recommend a Spirit frame too! I have one myself I'm planning on using for my 51 F1. Or like DMW56 said, you could also go with building your own. Just stay away from the S10.

Thunder1

Personally I would just build your own frame to your own specs esp if your goin fenderless. I wanna go same way with my 52 IH. I just think its easier to work with new metal than to modify an old frame thats rusty plus you can Z it ,strech it, and give it your own look.

Latest posts

Back