Frame twisting with Saginaw box

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corsair

I drive a '50 Ford F47, mildly rodded with a 455 Olds, thm 400 trans and an Olds diff. I cut up a crossmember for the Olds engine (from a donor) is bolted in - it came from a '82 Chev, chopped to fit. The donor ran a 350 Olds diesel. My truck is lowered, but not slammed.

This may have been covered before, but I'll ask:

I have adapted a Saginaw p/s box to fit inside the drivers side frame, just behind the engine mount point. It pushes a rod that passes to the opposite side of the axle, connected to the main rod that turns the spindles. Almost unbelievably, it's strong, passed safety insp. and gives me decent power steering.

Has anyone had to deal with twisting and movement of the framerail with the use of a GM box? Clearly the frame (where the box is mounted to) is not made to take this kind of push-pull torque.

Should I box this sucker? Because I'll need to move wiring, hoses, etc, it'll be a bit of a job. A good winter job methinks. I'm trying to figure out how far to go with this idea. Any comments (yea or nay) or other ideas, tricks, welcome.

TIA,

Ian

Last edited:
If the steering box is mounted close to the crossmember you probably won't have any twisting. Have someone watch the frame as you turn the steering wheel while sitting still. If it twists you can add a corner brace on each side of the crossmember, making it look like a K member would add strength to the frame. It could be done in front of or behind the crossmember, which ever is easier, would still add the same strength.

Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 had a problem with this when 35" -48" tires , a after market plate was out there that went on the out side of frame to stiffen up the steering box 8"x3/8 maybe . fuzz idea would work well also just welding in a support get some pics when you figure it out

Thanks for the input.

willowbilly - yep, cross-steer.

Fuzz - I am getting some twist - known problem that I'm dealing with. Your idea is good, I think any brace will need to go behind the cross member.

Busch - Yeah, I had that thought today. Just a simple outside plate that would cover the mounting segment and the framerail fore and aft, maybe 6" in either direction.

Good stuff, I need to ponder this.[S

Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 had a problem with this when 35" -48" tires , a after market plate was out there that went on the out side of frame to stiffen up the steering box 8"x3/8 maybe . fuzz idea would work well also just welding in a support get some pics when you figure it out
I've fixed them on pickups with stock 235s. Anything bigger than a 31x10,50 and you were stressing out the stock mounting.

Latest posts

Back