frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old skool

ok quick question,hav a guy that wants me to build him a frame,but he wants to use flat steel bout an 1/8in thick an piece it together to make a box frame.ok do you think this would be strong enough for a frame.thx

No, should be at least 3/8" and why piece it together when you can buy tube.

3/8" minimum ??? You are joking aren't you?? :eek:

2" x 4" box section steel is usually 1/8" wall thickness and generally more than strong enough, unless you want to put a blown big block in it.

I've seen guys put frames together like that and while it works, it is a whole lot more work. The only reason I can see for doing it that way would be to get a particular shape that box tubing can't duplicate, like a curve up over a rear end or something similar. 1/8 would be ok, but like DMW I like 3/16 for a variety of reasons.........I just like to overbuild stuff. :D

Don

The back half kit in my Anglia is from Alston and it is .083". I use 11 ga. most of the time. A frame will gain a lot of strength and rigidity from a good X-member or K-member.

On a long wheelbase vehicle with a heavy engine I'd consider 3/16" wall or 2" by 6" rectangular tubing.

A few years ago I did a lot of work on a neighbor's '40 Ford Coupe. The frame is C channel and I'm pretty sure less than .120" wall. The X member is no thicker and punched, from the factory, with large holes. In this case I think the body is asked to contribute to the strength and rigidity of the entire car.

My point is there can be a number of factors to consider in selecting frame material. Or, just do as Don does and over build so you don't ever have to worry.

Latest posts

Back