front axle question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROMAN69Z28

Im headed to raid my honey hole this weekend and need some opinions. I can get a factory A front end for dirt cheap but its like it was when it rolled off the line. I also have a line on a mid 60s van front end. Im not afraid of the fab work to make the van axle go suicide. Im weighing the options mainly on brake conversions. I can go discs dirt cheap on the van axle but not on the A. I believe all the axles down there are 28-32 but im not 100%. What would you guys do? I couldnt find a side by side pros/cons line up so any and all opinios are welcome.

Croman,
That's not my specialty but Gastrick & Don have posted a chart for identifying the different years of axles & that may help in u're decision. I'll see if I can hunt that down.

BoB

Get the A front end and make the necessary conversions if you want to go disc. It may be a little more money but it is MUCH more aesthetically pleasing and will be worth it in the end. Nothing looks better on a hot rod than an early Ford axle...

I agree with Blue Eyed Devil.

Top to bottom,.....
#1, 1928-1931 Model A
#2, 1932-Only (Pass. and truck this was NOT commerical only)
#3, 1933-1936
#4, 1937 (early38) "Tubular" ( from V-8 60hp only)
#5, 1937-1941
#6, 1942-1947
#7, 1948 only ( extra hole for shock mount)

thanks for the intell and helping make my choice easier. I know of about 8-10 front axles in a pile. If I have my choice of year models, which would be preferable?

if you have a choice, grab the #5 pictured, when you go buy all your parts for brakes everything will fit properly, mainly your kingpins, i used 1940 kingpins on a 1930 axle and had to grind a little adjustments, also i THINK the later axles are 1 or 2 inches narrower in length than the earlier axles, also the later axles seem to have a bit of a drop to them, get it a little bit lower, good luck...

If you find a tube axle in the pile get that one, very rare and will ad to the resale value of your rod. If only 28 to 32 axle there then get the 32 axles, I made that plural cuz you can sell the extra axles here or on ebay and make a buck.:D...by the way if any of the axles appear to be bent it's not a problem to straighten them, I have bought bent axles real cheap and used them after straightening them in a press.;)

Latest posts

Back