front axle question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim...Ok

I'm ok with using a truck type axle on my upcoming build with batwings bolted thru u-bolts holes in the axle....Would a 56 Ford axle be a decent choice for a truck type build? I found a 53 ford axle drum to drum with springs for $100 on craigslist locally, was telling a buddy about it..He said he still had both axles with all springs brakes steering linkage, steering box and column from his 56 build i could have if i wanted it..can't beat free if I can make it work..

thanks,
tim

EDIT... I didn't mention it originally, but axle is from a 56 half ton pickup

thanks again..

Last edited:
You answered your own question,"You can beat free"....you can make it work!! You can spend the $100 on rebuilding the brakes...:D

on a ford a 53 and a 56 have the same axle....so you would be paying someone to get what you have been offered for free......

yep free is good......

The '53 and '56 F-100 axles and brakes are the same. I personally don't care for parallel leaf axles mounted in such a fashion, but it's your build. The brakes & steering box are definitely worth having. The rear axle is probably geared a little high for hot rod use unless you are running an overdrive transmission.

I've seen some pictures of where a guy made batwings that bolted onto those four holes per side, and it looked pretty good...........not as good as an early Ford axle, but not bad. I liked the way he did it because I do not like it when people weld batwings to these Ford pickup axles, that just scares me a little.

Don

I have always used Either Econoline or Chevy Van front axles.Can`t get the traditional stuff here on the coast,so I use what is available.I would grab those ford truck parts.[dr

I know what he is talking about doing - I was referring to using the axle from a parallel setup (truck, etc.).
That's why it's ugly IMO. :)

lol he said that as if we were "spreading the gospel about traditional hot rods"

an econoline axle is just fine that way. The flat spot gives you a place to mount skulls, beer cans, or german helmets.
if it were a gold plated Tbucket forum we could mount some billet bird baths or gumball machines there

I used an econoline axle because it was what I had at the time. Plus it is already lowered about 3 inches. Although it isn't quite as smooth and uniform as an early axle. I removed all the leaf spring mounts and smooth that out. Then I welded a bushing of sorts to the backside that my wishbone bolts through. I als narrowed it to model A width, about 3 inches taken out. I know some people don't like welding on them but think about what they do when they drop an original axle 3-4 inches. If that doesn't scare you then welding on one shouldn't.

Hi Tim, I'm planning to do the same. Although I agree, they aren't the prettiest, I have seen some done very well. They don't look too bad, and like you said, they are already dropped nicely.

Keep us posted, and I'll do the same.

Good luck.

Hi Tim. I'm planning to do the same to my build. I do agree, they aren't as pretty, but I've seen some done pretty well. I'm haven't completely decided on my approach, but I do have the same axle.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I used a 53 axle and box in my 28 rpu, the spring pads do look ugly, then I look in the mirror at my mug and figgure the axle can stay.

This is off topic but I love in Sin City when Micky Rourke talks about his Mugg and his Mitts

more on topic I don't have any pics but I have seen some nicely designed truck axle mounts.
I don't like the ones where they just used a chunk of 6" L-iron
I do like the ones where the batwings go over the top of the axle and are welded in the center of a flat plate that bolts to the axle. I have seen them as suicide front ends and also with spring perches welded to the plates.

if you take what you have and work around that you can come up with a unique design that is attractive.
The difference isn't dollars...that's mail order rod building...
The difference is in design and detail.

Thanks for all the input..I'm definitely snagging the stuff, the guy i'm getting it from has been a good friend since we were in 8th grade and we've worked together for the last 20+ years..this stuff has been laying behind his shed since he had a Mustang II conversion done on his 56 back in 1992 or 93..I'm going transverse front spring with bones of some sort.. I can't wait to get started on this build,guess i need to decide on a cab/body before i get too carried away..LOL

thanks again fellas!!!

Tim

we made these brackets for a customer in Texas. He sent back this picture of it all mounted.
GMCtruckfrontend.jpg

Latest posts

Back