front axle question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the brackets by themselves.
P1010034-4.jpg

heres a truck axle Iv'e been working on

its a '64 f100 . not all the way done yet. going to run a plate from the axle to where the spring bolts to on the top side of the bar for stiffness and to hopefullly make it look a little better.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    177.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 53
its a '64 f100 . not all the way done yet. going to run a plate from the axle to where the spring bolts to on the top side of the bar for stiffness and to hopefullly make it look a little better.

nice work..Do you have some kind of pivot built in where your bars attach to the axle to allow for flex/rotation?

That looks nice, but it also looks like the springs are going to hit the frame, why didn't you put it in front of the cross member?

Thanks! Check out my build thread. The link is in my signature. There's a ton of pictures there.
Motorhead,your build is awesome..I've read it beginning to end at least three times in path few months and just can't get enough of it..Easily one of my top 2 favorite builds on this (or any)forum.. thanks for sharing

Tim

That looks nice, but it also looks like the springs are going to hit the frame, why didn't you put it in front of the cross member?

yeh I think it will hit to.I was ganna put it in front but when I set it up I didn't like the look as much. Im ganna trim the frame a little and I still might have to but a block inbetween the spring and bracket. Im real good at dioing it first and than thinking I wish I would of done that a little different. seems to be my way of learning.

nice work..Do you have some kind of pivot built in where your bars attach to the axle to allow for flex/rotation?

no pivot to allow for flex/rotation. I was sure Iv'e seen it done like this but now that you bring that up I'm thinking I should of added that. Im inclined to try it and see how bad the ride is. this will give me something to think about.

no pivot to allow for flex/rotation. I was sure Iv'e seen it done like this but now that you bring that up I'm thinking I should of added that. Im inclined to try it and see how bad the ride is. this will give me something to think about.
I hope somebody with more experience than me (wouldn't take much)will chime in on this..but to me it seems like that could be more of a problem than a bad ride..Seems like that could be a failure point..I really like your ride and what you've done with it so far..Certainly not doggin on it,just don't want to see you or someone (or your truck) hurt if it fails..

Any expert opinions?

Tim

Articulation is the word your looking for, and I don't think it will work as you have it. One way to see what happens is to have it sitting on all 4 wheels, put a jack under the right (or left) front wheel and jack it up. As you have it it probably will try to raise both sides. This will not work. Hence the word articulation! Hope I explained this satisfactorily.

Articulation is the word your looking for, and I don't think it will work as you have it. One way to see what happens is to have it sitting on all 4 wheels, put a jack under the right (or left) front wheel and jack it up. As you have it it probably will try to raise both sides. This will not work. Hence the word articulation! Hope I explained this satisfactorily.

I was thinking the same thing so when I got home I put a jack under the axle at one side and this wheel rose off the ground as the other side stayed on the ground. I think the articulation is allowed because of the spring shackles. I do not have any type of panhard bar , If I did I'm thinking the shackles wouldn't give in a way to allow the articulation. there is also no weight (engine) on this front end. I want to see what it does with weight on it. Im still not sure what I think . I want it to be a safe ride. I will change it if I need to.

Latest posts

Back