Front axle/suspension for Mod T roadster?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorodders

I'm gonna build my own z'd 2x4 tube frame. I plan on going with disc brakes. My first ratrod build. Going with a lower stance. Any suggestions on an axle/suspension setup?

Is there a look you are going for?

Speedway sells a whole bunch of front end options, and I think Lucky 7 sells some forged axles too...

Or there are a bunch of used options too...

Got my front axle kit from RPM [ron pope motorsports] best price anywhere and uses 49-54 chevy spindles which are less expensive than ford. Disc brake kit from speedway is also cheaper for chevy spindles. If you have a unique design in mind, call Ron, he can make anything for you.

Attachments

• a bucket 062 (Small).jpg
    a bucket 062 (Small).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 44
colorodders, You may want to think about using 2x4 tube for your frame. It is way overkill for a t roadster. It also kind of looks out of proportion. I used 2x3 and it is plenty stout. A lot of people use .125 wall. I used 3/16" wall so I could drill and tap for things attached to the frame.
If you are looking at building your own axle, thatis quite an undertaking to get right. It can be done, but it is much easier to buy one. Look around. I think they can be had for around $150 or so. Look at RPM as suggested.

colorodders, You may want to think about using 2x4 tube for your frame. It is way overkill for a t roadster. It also kind of looks out of proportion. I used 2x3 and it is plenty stout. A lot of people use .125 wall. I used 3/16" wall so I could drill and tap for things attached to the frame.

The coolest T I've ever seen had a thick frame (5" tall?). Pics are from 2011 and 2012 redneck rumble.

IMG_2646.jpg

IMG_2641.jpg

IMG_2649.jpg

IMG_3307.jpg

IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

2008_0803box0001.jpg

I used 2" by 6" .120" wall formed channel for this frame. Tapered it from the firewall forward down to 3". After the frame contour was set, I boxed it with .120" wall plate.

I really like the "T" that Flipper posted above.

Hey, I thought this was a rat rod forum? I only buy from Speedway or the aftermarket world what I can't make, find in a junkyard or score at a swap meet! Here's your front suspension setup right here. Everything's there including the bones. It's CL so offer him less than $175 he's asking..............
http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/3577620174.html

Yeah, it's spring in front of axle but I'm runnin' a '38 w/spring in front on my T roadster and it works. I too would agree with 2"x3" tubing for the frame. I'm using .125 wall and it's plenty stout.

P2130003_zpse8ccb24b.jpg

I will try to do things different for sure. I did pick up a 30's drilled axle today for $80. Secret valentines day present to myself :). I like the tapered or sloped frames and the one posted above by Flipper is very cool with the horizontal shaping to match the bucket!! I can't wait to go cruising with other rodders this Spring! Yeah, It'll be ready. I already have the engine and trans.

Latest posts

Back