Front clip help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SapperJoe

I am welding an s10 front clip onto my 49 Coronet frame and want to ensure it will be strong enough. I slid part of the s10 frame into the coronet frame and have both sides welded up. I still need to do the top and bottom and clean everything up, but my question is this: Will gusseting the sides be enough or do i need to do the top and bottom as well? I plan to plug weld the gusset for added strength (as well as welding around the outside of it). What do you guys think?

I think fish plating the sides will be enough. But if you're worried about it doesn't take that more time to do the top and bottom also and it's accessible now and won't be later.

A little added insurance is a good thing!

i come from a family that "over-engineers" things...

if you are cruising down the hiway, it is comforting to know you did everything possible to make your ride as strong & safe as you could;)

@DMW I may end up doing the bottom and leaving the top alone. Judging by your responses it should be ok with just the sides, though not as strong as it could be. Looking at it, if I make the plates a little long and tie in more of the frame, then I think it should be pretty damn sturdy.

@Preacher I, too, like to over-engineer things. I wasn't sure what the standard was for welding two frames together. I tried looking at some z'd frames on some of the mini-truck sites and they seem to overdo it but they still seemed a little sketchy. I think 3 plates may suffice, especially with plug welds.

I will take some pictures when I am welding them in to see what you guys think then. Thanks for your responses!

Have any pics so we can see whats going on? I put a nova in a 53 chevy truck and this is what I wound up with.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 23
  • frame3.jpg
    frame3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back