Front discs for 34 Dodge IFS, Help!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I "think" I remember reading an article in Street Rodder many, many moons ago about a '46 Dodge or Plymouth coupe that the owner had adapted Volare or Duster discs to his stock front suspension. No kit, but he had spacers machined to press over the spindle shaft and the cut caliper brackets from heavy plate steel to mount where the original drum brake backing plate went.

Guess it's [;) time.

Have you checked out any antique Dodge or Plymouth specific websites for tech ideas? Might be worth your while for inspiration if nothing else!:cool:[P

Welcome to RRR, by the way!:D

Regards,
Shea:)

Thanks for the lead

Hi Shea
Thanks for the lead, I'll look for the Street Rodder article, I'll try the Volare & Duster discs, I'm using a Duster 8 3/4 rear so, this would keep my car all Mopar.
I've just heard about a kit from Plydo but they are very vague about a guarantee that it will fit my car. The 34 Dodge's indenpendent front suspension was produced for that one year only!
Nice to hear from a fellow Canadian

FrankR
1934 Dodge 392 Hemi
Cumberland Ontario

Frank, I don't know if this is a car you are building or if its one you have done and just want to swap them over. If it isn't a "I need it done yesterday" type deal, I make several brake kits for cars. Although I don't have anything for that suspension, if you are capable of getting me GOOD specs, I can help you out. OR, some oddball kits, I have guys send me the spindle and I custom make them and send the spindle back with the kit.

Dragons,
Thanks for the offer but, sending stuff accross the canada/US border then back is a hassle so, I bought a Plydo kit (just under $300.00 CDN with shipping, customs fees, etc). These use 69-72 Chevelle or 67-69 Camaro or 69-74 Monte Carlo discs and hubs.
I would have liked to stay all Mopar and have 5 x 4 1/2 bolt pattern like my 8 3/4 rear.
I will be installing it in the next few days. I'll let you know how it turns out. I will also take measurements of the spindle adapter sleaves and make a cardboard template of the bracket in case someone else needs them. These would be very easy to make.
Frankr
1934 Dodge 392 Hemi

i think i saw a pic of one of those 34's once---kinda vague though, is there a chance you'd show off that rare front end--i think it would be interesting conversation...:D

You're right Hotrod Preacher, the front end looks Kool and it's an odd looking one.
Made one year only in 1934. Dodge's first independent suspension said to be working great but costing too much so, they stopped making it.
The unequal lenght lower control arms are very long, going from the spindles and in towards the centre of the car to within a few inches from each other. I have it all torn appart right now for painting. I will post pictures once its all back together.
Frankr
1934 Dodge 392 Hemi

I am sad to say they are not very desirable... I had one under my 34 Chrysler when I bought it, I couldnt get anyone to pay to have it shipped, so I ended up selling it for scrap just to get the frame out of my yard.

Latest posts

Back