Front end option

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROMAN69Z28

I'm ready to start gathering parts for my '29 sedan build. I have nothing but the body now and I think the front end would be a good place to start. I can get a full truck front end (hub to hub) for around $165. I'm thinking of running coilovers and possibly a 4 link set up in the front. For the rear, I'm looking at a truck arm set up like i've seen on here quite a few times with coils. Im really interested in the truck front end b/c of the prics as well as the ease and availability of disc swaps for the front. Does this sound like a good idea or should I just pick up an A front end and go from there? Pros? Cons? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

CROMAN,

Are you going to run fenders on your A? I like the truck arm rear suspension, it's a proven setup that works good and looks good. This next part is just my personal opinion so don't take it too personally. It's not my business what others do with their own car or truck, but I like to see a beam or tube axle on the front of a fenderless rod. It's just more visually appealing in general I think. If you go that route, try to scrounge a 32 or later axle and 37 or later spindles. That way, 39 and later juice brake backing plates will just bolt right up without any adapting. Aftermarket disk brake brackets are common for these spindles too.

I guess I should have given more info. Im looking at getting a 50-59 chevy truck front end and using coilovers instead of the parallel leaf setup. I'm also looking to get this thing rolling for the least amount of cash possible. thanks.

I've got a couple of those, but I only gave $50 for them. If the one your looking at has new pins and brakes, I guess the price would be OK though.

A Ford Econoline is a lighter better lookin axle and takes a GM rotor with a spacer and a different seal, and the 60s Chevy Van axle also takes the 70s GM Midsize rotors/bearings w/o machine work just a seal. The 50s truck needs machine work on the spindels or an adapter kit from speedway(more $).

Heres a chevy Van axle on my 33 Dodge PU project, and an E-line on my T. I like the E-line better..

PA41

Attachments

• sarahtoolsrods 018.jpg
    sarahtoolsrods 018.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 100
  • nonturboT%20019.jpg
    nonturboT%20019.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 70
Not too sure about the E-line years--62-66 maybe? They have 2 different spindle designs- one with screw in caps over the pins, and one with O rings.--Both fit the same axle.

The Chevy van axle needs to be a 1/2 ton--1500 I think 1.25" shaft spindle on its big end--.75" little end. I use Speedway caliper mounts for rear axles and cut and drill them to fit the front with 3/8" spacing (see pic). It needed about a 1/4" spacer to clear that I made from old bearing races and a grinder. the seal is a Chicago rawhide #17406 I think (measure to be sure though--1.75" seal on shaft-2.56" rotor bore). Here are a Few more pics

PA41

Attachments

• 91641008_R.jpg
    91641008_R.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 12
  • kidnrat 024.jpg
    kidnrat 024.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 45
  • kidnrat 020.jpg
    kidnrat 020.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 47
  • kidnrat 017.jpg