Front engine mounts for SBC

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRodDave

I did a search here and have also googled this a bit, so not totally naive, but I am going to have to make motor mounts for the front of the SBC that is going into the '54 Pontiac. The steering box is in the way of using normal side mounts.

Found the Hurst front plate and that Speedway makes (or made?) one (didn't find it there), and read advice about adding side mounts for the trans not just relying on the single mount at the rear. I will most likely put in a middle brace somewhere. I have 2x2 and 1x3 and some flat pieces I could use to make "stanchions" or make a plate, or ... [S

... wondering what you guys know of, have done, or what you can come up with ...

bellhousing mounts

Chevies that used the front mounts had a diffferent bellhousing for mounts, and I think the starters bolted to the bellhousing instead of to the block. If you are using a stick trans and a mechanical linkage clutch you can get some clutch chatter as the engine moves with soft mounts, They used to sell some U shapped stabilizers that fit on the front mounts and had a pressure bolt to push rearward on the front rubber. A hydralic clutch usually doesn't induce clutch chatter. AKA old chevy pickups. The corvette crossmember mount shown on the JJ link holds the engine at a different height than the Hurst mounts.

Ok, here is the deal with front mounts vs side mounts: When cars had cast iron bell housings, using a front mount, like the Hurst type, was fine. But when cars started using aluminum bell housings, either stick shift or automatic, that long distance between the front mount and the one on the tail shaft could put a strain on the bell housing and crack it.

I was going to run just front mounts on the Olds engine in my rpu project, but everyone on another forum said I would have trouble, so I made a bell housing mount too to support the engine in the middle.....now the car has front mounts, center mounts, and one on the tailshaft.

Don

Latest posts

Back