front leaf spring

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghousedevil

i scored a 37 ford front axle and springs this weekend at a swap meet and i'm curious if it matters how many leafs i take out and which ones?

Depends on the weight you will have on the front end.
Always take out the short springs first, usually one at a time.
Each spring supports the one below it.,( or above it on a traditional rear leaf)

while we are discussing springs, is there any reason anyone can think of that would prevent installing one inverted?...

How do you mean? For the front? I don't see the advantage, but I guess it would work, with the axle on top of the spring. The front end would probably be on the ground.

while we are discussing springs, is there any reason anyone can think of that would prevent installing one inverted?...
It's done all the time. Several Rods have reversed the chassis to get the rod lower. Springs now ride on top of the axle.

leaf spring

thanks for the tip. i pulled every other one and i'm left with six. i kept the bottom 2 and top 2. looks like this will allow me to move the location of my suicide perch down like i wanted. in regards to the reversed frame, i saw a pic of a chevy done this way in ol' skool rods and it looked killer.

Latest posts

Back