Front leaf springs...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Murphy

My 50 Study pickup, chevy 350/350 trans on jack stands for repairs and upgrades, the front stands are under the straight axle with all the vehicles weight on the suspension and the springs a level/horizontal with the ground so as a load would be applied the springs will flex up... to the negative or past the neutral point of the springs compression.
This dose not look right to my and this is the first straight axle I've owned. Not enough spring ???:confused:

Carlos,

do you have a buggy spring (single leaf across the width) or two parallel leafs (running lengthwise)? Some of the parallel leaf setups don't have a whole lot of arch on the springs to begin with...

Could also be worn or undersize leafs. Any way you could post us some piccies? Might help a bit with the "diagnosis." [S

Regards,
Shea:)

That sound right. You've got a couple hundred more pounds on them than the old flat 6 so they are compressed more and probably have "relaxed after 60 years. 8 leafs is pretty heavy I doubt that they will ever go "negative" arch. By the way I have 54 Stude that I'm dropping a 454 in.

I've got parallel leaf springs on the front of a couple cars. They are close to flat. It is not a problem.

That sound right. You've got a couple hundred more pounds on them than the old flat 6 so they are compressed more and probably have "relaxed after 60 years. 8 leafs is pretty heavy I doubt that they will ever go "negative" arch. By the way I have 54 Stude that I'm dropping a 454 in.

Oops, THAT's how you abbreviate Studebaker?
Damn... my lic plate reads "50 STUDY":eek:
Maybe that's why it was available[S

Yah, that's what I was thinking.
Original 59 year old springs with the additional weight of the V/8 on them, think maybe I'll change them out just to be safe, they don't have double wrapped ends.

Thanks for the input guys.

I wonder if the small-block V-8 actually does weigh more than a Studebaker inline 6... Not trying to confuse the issue or stir the pot, just curious.[S

I remember reading somewhere that the Chevy V-8 was actually lighter than the Chevy Stovebolt inline 6...They might have even used it in advertising in the mid-fifties...I can't recall for sure.

Might be best to replace those leaves anyway if you at all question their integrity. BSTS.;)

Regards,
Shea:)

Latest posts

Back