Front spring problem.?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRATT

The rest of the front end came today and started mocking a few things up..OK I WAS HAPPY as hell..!! I noticed something when it was together...the front spring is 2 inches wide while the perch bolts are only 1 and 3/4 inches wide.Now this has me kinda worried.Is this going to be a major or even a minor problem..?:mad:

Is this stuff new or used? if its new you should probably send either the spring
or spring perches and or spring shackles and get the correct size. You might be able to find a spring shackle that is 2"on one side and 1.75" on the other side and make it work.

Something is majorly wrong. The standard front spring on a rod is 1.75 . Need more info. Where did you get all the parts? If it came from someone like Speedway, Pete and Jakes, SoCal, etc they should have sent matched parts. Post us some pictures of your stuff so we can see what you have there.

I would also call the supplier and ask whats up.

Don

i am in the same boat as you, the front spring i ordered from speedway for my 46-48 ford car axle is 2 inch wide, where my perch bolts are 1 and 3/4, i was just going to get 2 inch shackles and use a washer on each side of the perch bolt to make it 2 inches.

'48 Fords use a 2" wide spring. It does not mount to the perch bolts that go through the axle. It mounts to the stock wishbone and sits in front of the axle. The '48 Ford spring in the Speedway catalog states it is for mounting on the stock wishbone. If you are trying to mount a spring over the '48 axle on perch mount/bolts, a special spring is needed. I suggest you call Speedway's tech line or better yet, call Posies and tell them what you are trying to accomplish. I hope this sets you in the right direstion.

You also could just make a simple sandwich plate - forget the u-bolts . make a plate and drill 4 holes, set that on the bottom of your spring and run the 4 bolts thru to hold your spring perfectly. It is simple and cheaper than u-bolts

Latest posts

Back