front suspension pics -will this work?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pics are here

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=cp1wtlp.8x1qw221&x=0&y=-4t4k44&localeid=en_US

original leaf setup had 7 leaves, i removed 2 and used 1/4 thick steel for the lower shock mount. upper shock mount will be fully welded and bolted in place once the position is set. the shock is mounted directly above the axle on both sides. and the axle sits on top of the leafs springs instead of below like it did originally as i wanted to drop the front end a bit. i can always go back to stock if it will work better.

can anyone tell me if this setup seems like it will/won't work? i have no idea about stress loads, shock angles, etc. def interested in thoughts/criticisms/suggestions. i want to be safe in this thing!

thank you

- jason

Hard to tell from the pictures, but in theory, it should work okay. It looks like you may need more of a "pad" on the bottom side of the axle to keep it from trying to roll. I would gusset the upper shock mount. How will the steering work?

thanks - yes i had planned on gusseting the top mount once everything is in the right location. should be pretty sturdy.

cross steering works fine - all clearances are accounted for with the disc brake conversion and the shock placement.

dumb ? but what is a "pad" for the axle? i apologize but i am ot sure what that is and how it works?

The "pad" he is referring to is like the one on top of the axle, where the spring originally mounted. You need to make another one out of your 1/4" plate with the same holes in it and weld it to the opposite side of the axle. This provides a good contact patch for your spring and keep the axle from rolling. You can then grind off the old mounting surface so your U-bolts fit properly again, and reinstall in the same manner as stock, just upside down. Also make sure you have the proper amount of caster in the axle - I usually set them between 7 and 10 degrees. If you need to adjust it there are wedge shims available.

You could stand to put a little angle in that shock - up to about 15 degrees is acceptable. This would move your lower mount away from the spring a little, because it looks awful close there. It would also look a little better, IMO. Make sure you make another plate for your lower mount as well, so the shock eye is "sandwiched" between two mounting plates.

Also don't just remove the 2 shortest leaves from your pack. Leave the shortest leaf, take out the next, leave one, then take out the next. Alternating like this will put less stress on the reduced spring pack as a whole. Good luck...

Latest posts

Back