Fuel Gauge Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman

I bought a racing type fuel cell for the back of the 46 International and it just came to mind that i dont know how much fuel i have in it, is there a good universal sending unit i can use to hook to my fuel gauge??

I got my sender from my local car quest. It is a universal type sender possibly a marine application. It is fully adjustable for tank size and depth. I will see if I can find the part #. Speedway also sells some senders.

You should know what kind of guage you have. Some read 0 to 90 ohms and others read 90 to 120 (I think..or somewhere in that range for the other type). If memory serves correctly the 0 to 90 is a GM style and pretty common with some of the after market guages

I've got an aluminum fuel cell (Triangle brand from Summit) that is foam filled. It has a sender that does not operate with a float. In Minnesota we have ethanol in our gas. My sender lasted only a few days. I assumed it was from the ethanol as I have seen warnings about it killing that type of sender. A replacement sender of the same type is around $90. I haven't taken the chance. A cut off broom handle cost me nothing and works just fine.

the fuel cell that i bought has no foam inside and is an 18 gallon black plastic. i could do like the way we check the fuel in our micro race car and that is to drill a hole top and bottom with an "L" fitting and a clear tube on the outside of the tank to see the fuel level. I was just wanting to be able to see where i was fuel wise without having to get out of the truck.

Latest posts

Back