fuel gauge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bears 38

I have a new stock replacement fuel gauge in my '49 chevy truck and am using a tank and sending unit from a '70-'80s chevy suburbine (?). I think the gauge shows full when the tank is half full , shows half full when tank is 1/4 full , if over half full the gauge show way up off the chart . Any ideas how to get this showing correctly ? or do I have to adapt a different sending unit ?

Not sure how the float system on the '70 -'80's is, but on my old tractor tank it had a top/side float system and it was a little off, but with a little tweeking of the float arm[just like on a swamp cooler] I got it to read the correct amount.

First check your grounds. Are you running a 6V gauge and a 12V sending unit?
If so you will need a volt reducer 12 to 6. And remember the ohm range must match on sender and gauge. Hope this helps.

First check your grounds. Are you running a 6V gauge and a 12V sending unit?
If so you will need a volt reducer 12 to 6. And remember the ohm range must match on sender and gauge. Hope this helps.
Sending units shouldnt be volt specific. All they do is register a reostat setting of ohm to ground. My guess is your ohm readings arent the same for your sender and guage, and you need them to match for a matching reading.

Now, if it were mine, I would just run it. Just know where EMPTY is, and gas up before you hit it. Do you really need a gauge to tell you when you are full? Nope, all the gauge is for is to let you know before it runs dry.

Latest posts

Back