Fuel Pressure or lack there of?????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larc68

So I thought the fuel pump was leaking on my 73 nova but it was just the hard line, which is 3/8. The rubber line part was 5/16, about 8" long, and it had a cheesy see thru glass gas filter. Well I replaced the hard line and rubber line with 3/8 and bought a metal inline filter. When the car runs for a little and you shut it off, it starts back up but then will stall. It takes quite a few cranks for it to start back up and even then, it seems like its starving for fuel till it gets moving. Very weird. So the only real change is the rubber line from 5/16 to 3/8. I put the glass filter back on to see if that was the cause and it wasn’t. But, when the fuel is going through filter, it is pumped in in spurts. It’s not a constant flow but like the pump is spitting fuel in every 3-5 seconds or so.

Does anyone have any ideas? I’m wondering if the pump actually was bad. I think my next step is to get a fuel pressure gauge to see what the pressure is.

Could be a bad pump, but if it were me, I would ditch the mechanical pump period, I hate them. If you are just running a carb you don't need much of a pump.

Latest posts

Back