Future Hot Rodders

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbillysurf

This past week I was asked to bring the Hillbilly Surf Chev to do a display for a school event. Their theme was a Luau Party and had grades Kindergarden thru 8th grade.
You know kids,, they dont miss anything !! It was very interesting and had a lot of fun !! I changed my Hillbilly Nitrous (Moonshine jars) to a fishing theme for the event. Did'nt think I needed any young'uns going home and telling their parents they learned what White Lightning was !!!! Looked around once and there was 7 or 8 kids piled up in the front and back seat. You could tell which kids were gearheads ! I was surprised how the kids reacted and some of the questions..

Attachments

• 102_0672.jpg
    102_0672.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 102_0667.jpg
    102_0667.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 102_0685.jpg
    102_0685.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 102_0677.jpg
    102_0677.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 63
Thats great hillbilly ! Aint kids just somethin to watch.
I took my nephew's for a short cruise in the t-bucket yesterday and they never cracked a smile till i did a small burnout then they grinned ear to ear,its so funny how kids can be.Every where i take the bucket kids just stop what there doing and watch me go by,some of the expressions they give are worth the work that i put in it alone!

well i believe you did a real good thing by taking the time to "share" your car w/those kids.....and i appreciate the thought that went into changing out the white litenin jars as well.....
i think that the rev tex was also right in concluding that the "show-car crowd" would have, for the most part, been too concerned with their car to let young-uns crawl in it or walk close to it......

thanks again for givin those kids some car-memories - and also thanks for sharin them w/us:cool:
HRP

That was a good thing to do Hillbilly. And you guys are right about the trailer queens! Took my youngest to a cruise and I'm always telling him not to get too close to the cars. The guy who owned the only Rat truck there asked if he wanted to sit in it. Talk about a giant smile! He was the only one who ever asked that question...........CR:D

Thanks guys, for the comments and your own kid/car stories ! here's the 3 top questions asked by the kids over and over :

1) Why do you have "Corn" under your hood ??

2) Why do you have a "Chandeler" in your car ??

3) Did you drive it here ? Can you drive it ? Does it run ?

One little girl said " You must like to recycle."
One more kid asked " Is this one of those "Going Green Cars" ?

HR Preacher, here'e a pic of the trunk the next day !! :D

I had given the teacher earlier in the week a drawing that I used on my display sign to photo copy so they would have a coloring pic of the car for the kids to color. Which they ended up cutting off the Rat Fink because they thought it might be too scary ?? :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 100_0698.jpg
    100_0698.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 100_0699.jpg
    100_0699.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 100_0703.jpg
    100_0703.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Hillbilly Surf drawing Pablo.jpg
    Hillbilly Surf drawing Pablo.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 15
very nice. Its great to see kids takin an interest in our hobby. I only wish it could happen more often in my neck of the woods. Everytime i go to a cruise or local show(not dedicated to rods) I get the weirdest looks. Some kids are actually afraid of my truck. Then others just dont get it. The poor kids were brought up to believe that every car should have a nice glossy expensive mirror finish.

on many occasions this past summer i've had kids sit behind the wheel of my rat rod. They love it. Like you guys said, how many other people would do that for em? Im sure they go home sayin "Im gonna get me one of those.."
Its usually the 3-5year olds driving there parents crazy, trying to climb on runinng boards or leaning against cars. Mom and Dad say "DONT TOUCH!" I just speak up and say "Here, you can touch this one. Hop in."

You did a good thing, Hillbilly. Hopefully that generation of kids goes our way and turns their backs on the "tuner cars " they are used to seeing today.

You did a good thing, Hillbilly. Hopefully that generation of kids goes our way and turns their backs on the "tuner cars " they are used to seeing today.

Thanks Sixtall, I don't think all of them will turn their backs on the Tuners, but I was surprised of how many talked about the older rides. Most of the kids that I talked to that day told me about their Dad's projects, most all of them was older cars and trucks !! My 11 year old son is in the process of buying a 59 Chevy Fleetside PU to build a Rat out of it. He also can tell you all about the Tuners ect. So I try to keep some what of a open mind to anything custom or cool in his eyes because I don't want him to think that you can't be into only one type of car and fall into that "Label" thing we big people seem to get into !!:rolleyes: Although I do tend to try to keep him aimed at the older stuff, mostly Chevys !!!:D And even those need some bumping subs in them, he says !!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just received a cool "Thank You" Poster from one of the third grade classes from the school !!! It was like winning an award or something, pretty neat :D
If you can't find me in the group pic, I'm the one giving the little girl in front of me the " Rabbit Ears" ! ;) And that's my son, Cam in the background in the chair keeping the young blonde teachers helper company !!!:cool:

Attachments

• 100_0711.jpg
    100_0711.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_0710.jpg
    100_0710.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 10
you know thats really cool , just think more parents would take the time and do stuff with kids in school today, and the schools would see the potential of interst to children, i believe it would spark a genuine interest in the kids to do more with their lives! be more free thinkers! maybe concidering the things we see today, sorry off my soap box!!!!
trust me thats the greatest car award you can get! ! is the look in a kids eyes! WEll done!:cool:

Latest posts

Back