Garage mate shakeup...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alienbaby17

Well folks-
It finally happened. Last SUnday I officially made the deal and traded my 1950 Dodge 1/2 ton truck (see avatar) for a 1939 Ford STandard Tudor sedan. It was kind of heartbreaking to get rid of the Dodge but I needed a change and really was interested in the old Ford.

The Ford is about 98% original. The only modifications are a coil conversion and a set of Red's headers with Smithy's.

I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions in the next month as the whole Flathead Ford pre-50 Ford scene is a bit new to me (at least as an owner).

Here's a couple of pictures...
Bug.jpg

IMG_3662_edited-1.jpg

Jay

Oh man- I put this in the wrong section. I meant to put it in the Photo section. Sorry.

Alien,
No problem... I moved it for ya! Gotta say... I would have done the same thing!!! I love those Fords & if you were ready for a change... you made a great one in my opinion! It's a beaut!!!

BoB

Nice car. I think you'll find that you'll have more fun with this one then with the truck. I've always been fond of the 39 /40 Fords...especially the sedans. Don't tell anyone, but I have a 40 Tudor tucked away in my storage unit for when my Studebakers are done.

Nice!

Good trade !
I had a 39 standard sedan back in 1990.I was into the prostreet scene and the pastel colors eewwwww!(i still like the prostreet stuff)
I'll post up some pics if I can.
They are easy to suicide the doors!
I think you did a great job on your trade, I miss mine!
Tim

Thanks, guys for all of your kind words. Also thanks, Tripper for putting this in the correct section for me.

Yes, I'm really looking forward to what subtle things (for the time being) can be done with such a "blank canvas".

It's a completely new world to me in some ways. Because of the popularity of the model almost anything I can think to do to it has been done somewhere by someone before. I have a lot of examples I can use for guidance along the way.

That's totally different from when I had the Dodge and had to figure out how to do everything I did to it from scratch. I'm looking forward to not having to do quite so much research and homework for every little modification.

Thats not to say there isn't go to be a lot of learning involved here also because there clearly will be. I've already spent (far too many) hours figuring out a game plan for the car and I've only owned it for a week! Luckilly for me I've probably got another month before the temperature and road conditions here will support actually driving it so I have lots of time to figure out a good, solid plan.
Like everything else when it's new, all that homework is a lot of fun.

I'll be keeping everyone updated.
Just figured I'd better introduce everyone to the car to start with.

Jay

I think that's a good trade for you AB7. Maybe because I've always liked 38/40 Fords (both standard and deluxe). If it were mine, I don't think I would do too much to change it on the outside. Looks good as it sits.

I would try to add a couple of fold away rear tail lights for regular driving as the stock light does not trow alot of light while stopping during a sunny day. Trust me a friend of mine got the rear of his 40 hit twice then added lights and never got hit agane.

I have to agree with what everyone has said. I've always loved those cars and it looks like you found a great one. Nice job on the trade.

Adding a second taillight is going to be one of the first and probably only mods I do to the body. I'm also planning on adding turn signals also to make it a little more 'traffic friendly'.

I can't wait for it to warm up above freezing here so I can get her out on the roads and give her a run!

Jay

I think you did a great trade AB17. I think you'll like it alot. I've never known anyone that had a 39-40 Ford or Merc that that didn't want it back. Including
myself.

Latest posts

Back