Gas tank cleaning and sealing

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

After sitting for years with gas in the tank, my Lincoln has just developed a few pinhole leaks. This gas is so old it's red! Must be leaded! :eek: I've been doing a little reading on the best way to go with this, some say clean with MEK or acetone, some say use muratic acid, some say use phosphoric acid, some say a good soap like Dawn dish washing detergent. I'm confused.[S

Same thing on sealers. Some say Red Kote is best, some say Bill Hirsch, some say POR 15. Some say don't use a sealer, just solder or braze up the pinholes. Some say just go ahead and replace the tank because it will never be right. Only problem with that is nobody makes a tank for my car, I would have to adapt something. I've got a email out to Tanks, Inc, about their 48 Ford tank, it's smaller than mine, so I'm unsure if it might work.

Help me out here. What have y'all used that works and doesn't cost a fortune? [S

I used the POR 15 kit, came with a cleaner, a metal prep and then a sealer. Took me an afternoon to do it, but I have no complaints at all. I haven't ran to much gas through the tank though, so for longevity I can not personally comment on that at all. The kit cost me about $120 this side of the border, I am sure its a fair bit less on your side.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Repair-Kit_p_62.html

I think I have tried a few of the methods above and seem to end up
replacing the tank in the end.
Hope you have better luck than I do.

I've used the POR kit also. It had pinholes on the top. I used the sealer and fiberglass mat to seal the holes. It's been 15 years and still holding up. You can order it online for less than $100.

I played with my corvette tank in and out 3 or 4 times with pin holes .. finally bought a replacement tank $138 bucks advance Autos best money I ever spent ... hope you can find a replacement

I used the POR Gas tank kit a few years ago on a Reo I was restoring (no way to find a replacement tank for a '30 Reo!) It was leaking in a few spots. The kit worked great - that was at least 4 or 5 years ago. I'd use their product again without hesitation.

I successfully used Kreem in my Panhead tank. It had a doosey of a leak at the inner seam where it contacted the frame somewhere in it's history. A situation like that reminds me of the old Jerry Lee Lewis song "Great Balls Afire" :rolleyes: This is some tough stuff.
http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html
...might need more than what you get for a motorcycle tank though.

i used the 2 part liquid steel stuff after a muriatic acid bath.
it did work on my 50 year old tank.
after i got done with the bath /patch i quickly put some deisel in it and sloshed it around to coat the entire inside to prevent flash rust.
you gotta work fast.

Thanks for the replies guys. I still haven't heard back from Tanks, Inc, on their 48 Ford tank, but I found one on Bob Drake's site for $150. Just don't know how much fabbing it would take to work.

I'm looking at these two products, the RED-KOTE and Bill Hirsch. The POR 15 is about twice the price of these two, I don't know if it's twice as good.

http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ARK-01

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...4&keyword=fuel+tank+sealer&pt=N2392&ppt=C0126

If it cost close to $100, I'd just get the new tank and fab it to fit, for the $50 difference I'd be better off.

A little update: I got the old tank off. It doesn't look too bad inside, one area about three or four inches wide toward the front is muddy/rusty looking. Might be able to use the acid treatment and get it clean, worth a try anyway.

Bama I heard a very smart fella say one time to use a short peice of chain to slosh around on the inside to get the ruff stuff out .. this idea was better than the nuts and bolts I was using :D

I heard of a couple bad experiences with the Red-Kote.
With any product following procedures is paramount and I had to consider who it was too...

I decided to give the Red Kote a try. I also bought a epoxy putty product made by Permatex to use on the outside over the pinholes. I washed the tank out with acetone, then put a coat of the Red Kote inside. I'm planning on a second coat tomorrow. I figure I'm only out about $50 if this doesn't work. I can still get a 48 Ford tank and mod the mounting bracket if I have too, but if this will last a few years, I'm money ahead.

Latest posts

Back