gas tank location

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tburnett

OK I am finally getting started on my 31 model A fourdoor slantwindshield. Because I have daughters that I am raising to be rodders, I want to keep the four doors and make a rear seat. My stock gas tank besides being small, has a few holes in it. I should have plenty of room for a custom tank behind the back seat, but does that put my passengers in danger? or should I figure out a way to build two tanks to fit between the frame rails? the exhaust isn't going to go undeer the car so it isn't an issue. Any ideas? I will try to put up some pics of the car when I got it. I am still working on getting current pics loaded. I am 3 weeks into it so I havn't gottenmuch past the stripping, collecting parts and planning stages. IMG_6877 (2)a.jpg

IMG_6890 (2)a.jpg

IMG_6878 (2)a.jpg

You could always put it at the back, but there is the danger of "pinto syndrome".

Alot of my Jeep buddys have there fuel cell behind the back seat. Vent to the outside, and it should be okay.

There's not much room in the back if you have a rear kick up on the frame. Usually not enough for a rear seat. But if you do find room just make a steel bulkhead that separates the tank from the passenger compartment. Its no worse that all those trucks that had the tank behind or under the seat in the cab.

If you look at circle track cars you'll see the fuel cell is mounted at the back but has a "cage" around it and they are foam filled and have "tip over" valves to prevent fuel spllis in the event of roll over. That's about as safe as you can get!!:)

I'd get another original tank. No more dangerous than hanging one on the back..Iv'e run them about 5 times over the years and never a problem......If good enough for Henry!!!

Latest posts

Back