gasser question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmahone66

Why do most "gassers" have lifted front ends?
i know it looks cool, but was there some logistical reason why this was started? only thing i can figure is it has something to do with clearance of exhaust manifolds, but please school me. thanks.
example...
0901sr_04_z+9th_annual_syracuse_nationals+1941_willys_gasser.jpg

Like the devil said. At that time, traction was at a premium because of the lack of suitable racing tires. It was originally believed that the nose up stance helped transfer the cars weight to the rear tires upon launch, thus assiting with traction and lower ET's. By the early 70's, that theory had pretty much run it's course.

That Gassermadness link that Sam Fear posted is a great place to learn about the gasser era.

Yeah , sticky wrinkle slicks pretty much killed any weight transfer and traction advantage of the nose bleed stance. Another disadvantage was the negative affect on top speed due to added wind resistance - kinda like pushing a barn door down the track. Oh, and the fact that at 150 + mph the front end wants to fly.....:(

And yet, I love the gasser look - growing up in the 60's and building models of them may have something to do with it too..:rolleyes:

Another reason was that it took some of the engines HP to raise the front on take off. If it was already up you could use that HP to propel the car forward. That reasoning ties into the long ladder bars, also known as lift bars. The theory was that the rotating rear axle would make the bars act as a lever and help lift the front higher on takeoff. But the primary reason, as the guys have mentioned, was to transfer weight onto the back side for traction. Gassers also used hollow pipe rear bumpers filled with lead or concrete sometimes, for the same reason.

Don

As stated, Tire refinements over the years and the "barn door" effect contributed to the abandonment of the Gasser look.:( You have to admit they are some of the coolest looking cars and trucks out there though!![cl I miss the gasser wars!:D..CR

in the 60's it was nose up , the 70's was rear end up and the 80's level . And now it is as low as they will go . It's amazing how much ideas and cars change over the years .

in the 60's it was nose up , the 70's was rear end up and the 80's level . And now it is as low as they will go . It's amazing how much ideas and cars change over the years .

Yep, but they keep going faster and faster. I can remember when the speed on a Top Fuel dragster was just 180mph. A good Pro Stock ran in the mid 10s

What's cool is, they kept that stance long after tire technology caught up. I still love that stance. And don't forget the engine setback.

Weight transfer was the key, and also with the AWB ( altered wheel base ) cars with the rear axle moved forward, where the original name for the Funny Car came from.

LealFunnyCar5.jpg

flying+dutchman.jpg

Latest posts

Back