Gassers?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

custom cabby

I know this is a matter of opinion but I was wondering what would be the "ending years" of the gasser era? I've got my ticker going and just wanted to get a clear view/opinion. And if it matters, lets say... when it ended for trucks (not that they were that popular to make into a gasser).

Early 60's would be the heyday, and 1968 is usually considered the end of the "gasser" era. There were a few trucks done, but as weight was always an issue they were few and far between...

Like the Blue Eyed Devil said, the gas classes continued into the 70's, but the popular part of the era was starting to end by 1968. That's the year that's commonly accepted as the end of the "Gasser Wars". After that, new classes and new body styles started creeping in and the end was soon approaching.

Some trucks were raced in the gas classes but they were almost exclusively Willys bodied.

Well, I know this isn't a Gasser, but I always liked the look of it. 1963 F100 ran B/FX class. 3825LBS! Pulled mid 12's.
F100XL.jpg

That '63 is along the lines of why I was asking. I know that most of the gassers used straight axles in the front... is there a particular reason for this?

That '63 is along the lines of why I was asking. I know that most of the gassers used straight axles in the front... is there a particular reason for this?

i love that ford unibody "gasser style" as well!!!
and it should be an easy one to make since it has a 9" rear, and a straight front axle, falls in the era on year model and would look awesome with a big-inch FE under its hood!!!:cool:

Actually Cabby, many, many gassers were not nose up, supercharged, straight axle cars/trucks. It's just that those are/were the most visible, high profile vehicles that get the most attention and publicity. Check out that Gasser Madness site that Gassers Garage posted. There is lots of photos and information there. Click on the rules history in the left column on the site. You'll see that in the earlier years, the cars were nothing more than hot street cars that had to have bumpers, full exhaust, lights, interior, and such.

Latest posts

Back