General talk about truck just got

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VivaChas

Yeh - well this is the beginning general rat rod announcement that will serve as the intro to the build thread that will follow in the weeks ahead - seemed the place to start ~:0)

Just took delivery of 51 Willys Pickup truck that is a "running" and "driving" red (paint) patina'd Rat Truck - - - I have a feeling everyone chuckled at "running" & "driving" (been there done that and I am coincidentally wearing that T-Shirt as I write - Ha!

The truck has lost the old 4 banger (or maybe six) that came with it yonks back somewhere along the track of time and in it's place is a rebuilt mid-sixties Chevy 283. A mob of us were gathered round it last eve and agreed at 5000 miles on the rebuild it sounded pretty good (but that is never enough for an old tuner - so we'll see about that)

Naturally being a 4WD Jeep Truck it has very butch looking big tires on it that will eventually be replaced with a proper set of red wheels and street tires that will lower that ride to a respectable level ~:0)

The real horror story on this rig would be the brakes - driving home from the transporter meet point a few miles from my work-space at the old abode I was reacquainted with bleeding 9 inch manual drum brakes!!! That's got to change I don't mind saying.

Well the game is afoot on this project truck starting today with a scheduled half-hour of buyers remorse - followed by several hours of note making and finishing up the day charging a dead batt - wondering where this and that cut-wire goes and how I'm going to manage to get an Oregon Truck to pass state-inspection in Texas where windshield wipers must be on a vehicle and working even when there is no windshield (laws - U know i luv 'em~:0) VivaChas! p.s. did I mention there's no rust on this PU? true [;)

attachment.php

kinda all depends on what your plans are for it..can't tell, but is it 4x4? I'd probably dump the entire front end and do a Mustang II front crossmember if it were mine..
I did one under a 54 F100 with one of the cheap ebay crossmembers a few years ago for a friend, wasn't that bad a project..We drove it out of the shop in less than 3 days

Too Lazy

kinda all depends on what your plans are for it..can't tell, but is it 4x4? I'd probably dump the entire front end and do a Mustang II front crossmember if it were mine..
I did one under a 54 F100 with one of the cheap ebay crossmembers a few years ago for a friend, wasn't that bad a project..We drove it out of the shop in less than 3 days

I'm probably too lazy to pull out anything that's in there and working - likely will put vintage-type street tires on red rims (which will lower it substancially) paint it flat black and get important stuff working over time - the thing appears to have an updated 4x4 front end with power steering but very tiny almost useless brakes - that will probably be where I start - I'm not a very sophisticated builder - I can paint, tune and do projects like brakes and wiring - - - ol'what'shername says I'm only in it for the photographer's models anyway - Ha! - wives just don't know their husbands - I'm innit b/c that's the way U get a Rat Rod ~:0) VivaChas! - - - BTW I got this truck on eBay [;)

new R

photo1.jpg
>I just got this and although not a rat rod I like it. It does sort of lean a little toward the rat rod side of the house though. It will come in handy picking up parts and donor cars when I start my roadster. She has a four speed granny tranny with a 292 straight six. Some one lowered it a bit at some point. I put new tail lights in and got the electrical to sort of work. I also added a hood ornament, Fuzzy dice, a skull shifter knob and a skull and crossbones where the C20 badge is supposed to be. You can't run a truck without those things I'm sure! I smile every time I climb in. It is my new daily driver.

Those are cool old trucks and personally I would keep the 283 and start doing upgrades. I'm betting the front driveshaft is nearly touching the bell housing? Always an issue with those engine swaps

Latest posts

Back