Mini rant about buyers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I sold 2 old trucks this week, both came from the same farm and had been in a machinery shed for 10 years without running. Neither had brakes. I did get them both to fire up and run spraying carb clean in the carb. Both of these guys think they are going to drive the truck home. The kid who bought the 56 F250 lives 150 miles away. He brought tires and a battery and wasted my whole afternoon, truck is still sitting here. The Chevy farm truck sold on ebay and that guy is 40 miles away, coming this morning to see if he can get the brakes up and clean the carb so he can run it on a jug and drive it home. I've done stuff like that too but didn't waste a bunch of some one else's time. What's wrong with people? I guess I need to start adding "Truck does not drive and needs to be trailered or towed off the property". I hate to be a butthead but I have other cars I need to get, it's how I make a living.

Haha, people are just really dumb sometimes. I've put in an ad "Project car, no motor or transmission" and have had people call and ask "Do you think it will make it to Chicago without breaking down ?" :rolleyes:

Don

Some people have no consideration for others...... I too have done something like this a time or two, but never causing problems for the seller. I don't sit at their house trying to get something road worthy making them wait around for me.

Yea, thats pretty crappy, I mean it is one thing if they work it out with you during the buying process, that hey I don't have access to a tow rig, can I spend some time getting it road worthy?
But if they just show up and do as you've described, thats pretty inconsiderate....

I do think that people have grand ideas about what they are buying, and in their visions the vehicle is in much better shape than it really is...

Ive ended up delivering vehicles because of stuff like this. In the end I end up saving time.

You have to add that statement to your adds or people will expect they can drive it.. Makes them come prepared with a trailer or tow hitch.

Lungs

It's like they see the word "RUNS" and the rest gets blurred. They envision themselves getting a ride to your place and firing up there new ride to drive a couple of hours home.

Well, the guy shows up at 7:30 and messes with the truck for 2 1/2 hours. I mostly left him alone. He seems like a nice polite gentleman and says he's a mechanic for the police dept. At some point I go out to see how he's doing and he tells me the starter is no good. I'm like hmm..work fine for me and get under the hood, short it with a screwdriver and it cranks right over. I can hear when it cranks there might be a stuck valve and when it's running , it does have a miss. Now he doesn't want it. I gave him his money back. Jeez, how much do you have to explain, I said in the ad it had been in storage 10 years and would no doubt need some attention to things that decompose during long term storage. Well, at least he got the brakes working for the next guy.

Oh my, there are some "mechanics" these days that couldn't troubleshoot their way out of a paper bag. You were more than fair to give a refund.
Around here you would pay for the cab & doors nearly what the whole truck sold for.
I have listed parts cars for sale that people ask if it can be driven home.[S

He...says he's a mechanic for the police dept. At some point I go out to see how he's doing and he tells me the starter is no good. I'm like hmm..work fine for me and get under the hood, short it with a screwdriver and it cranks right over..... Now he doesn't want it. I gave him his money back. Jeez, how much do you have to explain, I said in the ad it had been in storage 10 years and would no doubt need some attention to things that decompose during long term storage.

What part of "AS IS" do people not understand? Do they really think you're gonna fix every little farting thing wrong with it before they pick it up? Geez, he said he was a mechanic, can't he fix anything? Or is he one of those that if the scan tool doesn't tell them what's wrong, they don't have a clue? Some people these days. [S

I looked at the ebay ad, it couldn't have been any clearer to me, but then again, I don't own any scan tools! [ddd

I have rules I live by...

Rule#1, People are stupid.

Rule #2, All subsequent rules are subject to rule#1.

Rule #3, never trust a f**t. Stupid people trust f**ts!

The list goes on. You can make up some of your own.

I'm not being mean, it's just a truth I have come to believe. They might have the best of intentions, but along comes rule #1.

The hard part is to remember that I'm people too. :rolleyes:

Gold03

Before you know it they will be mad because you didn't wash and wax it and there is no new car smell........ SOME PEOPLE ... I feel ur pain

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back