Generator

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
I have a 56 Cadillac That has a 390 from a 60 Caddy. The system has been converted to 12 volt. I was told that I couldnt use the generator that is in it and that I needed to upgade. Now my question is what should I be looking for?

Unless your trying to maintain an original look,(they make 12v gen but can be expensive). Id put a Delco 10 or 12si GM alt on it. You may have to fab on the bracket to get the belt to line up and its easy to wire.

Attachments

• 12SI4.jpg
    12SI4.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DelcoSI2wiring.jpg
    DelcoSI2wiring.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 8
Those alternators that look like a stock generator have had a lot of bad feedback on some forums...........short life and failing at inopportune times. Something about them heating up and burning the parts inside.

I'm like you, I don't care if my cars aren't totally original, I want to drive them with the least amount of problems possible. I grew up driving cars with generators and lived with dim lights and dead batteries. Alternators are one of the best things you can upgrade on a car.

Don

Latest posts

Back