getting a trunk open?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantwell.colton

Rat Rod Philosopher
thinking about picking up a 66 mustang this afternoon
but the guy says the keys are locked in the trunk --
is there an easy non destructive way to get to the keys?
thanks.

you should be able to remove the back seat and reach in from there, if not you can force the tumbler assembly through the panel carefully, this will require great care and some light repair if done correctly.

Are the doors unlocked :confused: If so you should be able to pull the back seat and get in that way without tearing up too much stuff......maybe just some cardboard or tar paper between the trunk and bracing. If the doors are locked too your only option may be to punch out the lock and use a screwdriver :confused:

since its a ford cant i just jump the starter and drive it home that way or had they already started putting in steering wheel locks by then?

Just find some 12 year old kid from the other side of town and slip him a few bucks. They can bypass the most sophisticated alarm and ignition systems with only a screwdriver. :rolleyes::D

Don

The back seat is easy to remove on a mustang. First push back and up on the front of the seat cushion. e that locks into a clip on the floor . There are about 8 inches in from the corners. Then just side the cushion forward and take it out of the car.

Next at the bottom of the back rest you will find to wire loops that are held on with bolt and large washer. They also should be about 8 -10 inches in from the outside edge of the seat. The think the bolt head is 7/16 ( Its been a while). Fter that push back and up on the top of the back rest. Again there are two wires from the seat frame that are held in with clip.

then get a light and crawl through the opening and look for the keys. It you can not find them you can unbolt the bottom part of the latch from the trunk and open it.

Are both keys locked in. The ignition and trunklkey of different.

No steering lock. Key in dash. Shouldn't be a problem to "hot wire" it and drive away.

All you need is a hot wire from the battery to the hot side of the coil. To start the car, Jump the large lug Battery Side of the solenoid with the first small . This will turn the starter. (See picture). To shut it down just pull the hot wire to the coil.

Attachments

• jumper.jpg
    jumper.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
the guys a total jerk - and even though i liked the car and the price i walked away just because of the way the guy was treating me ... i really hate when people make assumptions about me or my financial status infuriates me -- he had the nerve to ask if i had the money or was just wanting to look at it bc he doesnt want to waste his time... #$#@ grrr..
its good though -- i did find a guy getting rid of a decent running 67 valiant (more my style anyway lol) said hed sell it for 600.
sounds like a road trip this weekend.

thank you everyone for your help.

If he doesn't have time to waste why did he put the for sale sign in it? He should waste some more of his time and get the keys out of the trunk. Then he can ask more for the car...

i just really bothers me when people act like that...
there was car for sale about 2 yrs ago (written FOR SALE on the
windshield) -- i stopped bc the guy was right there and got out and started
looking at the car -- said this is a pretty nice car what are you asking for it?
and the guy said - oh you cant afford this car... i just laughed and walked away... i dont know if its that tattoos and beard or the fact that im just about always in dirty work clothes but i get that kinda attitude alot from people ... kinda bugs me lol (obviously_)

i dont know if its that tattoos and beard or the fact that im just about always in dirty work clothes but i get that kinda attitude alot from people ... kinda bugs me lol (obviously_)

"That's profiling and profiling is wrong".

Latest posts

Back