Getting close to registering 28 Ford PU rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gacannon

I have posted to several of the forums and received excellent help and its appreciated much.

Getting close to registering time! I have posted to this subject before and then studied what I could find on the web. I am in Georgia.

The ROD is a 82-A 1928 closed cab pickup body and bed sitting on an original Model A frame which has been boxed. Speedway front end, Ford 302 with C4 and 8" rear end. Matching donor car front disc's and drums with proportioning valves and pressure differential valves. Done right.

Reading the Ga. rules for "BUILT UP HOT ROD" I am worried!

Technically, registering it as a 1928 ford is problem. However I know of many rods that fit that category and are registered that way.

My insurance company seems to be ok with whatever. I have been with them for 50 years and insured everything from airplanes, motorcycles and fast cars with them.

If one takes a minute to read the Georgia regulations on engine swaps and built up cars, it can really open up a can of worms. They specify any engine swap after 1998, must comply with all Emission standards for that engine and my require Georgia clean air force department inspections regardless of you r county requiring emissions. The forms are on the web and it makes my skin crawl.

I know one thing when dealing with the DMV, you better have the right answers or you can take a wrong turn and end up in liberal bureaucratic hell.

Advise needed as how to proceed. I do not have the original frame SN as it was ground off during modifications in an earlier life. Body is a 82-A closed cab complete with original bed. I have owned this cab and frame for over 30 years and have a running 1928 original pickup.

Tell me I need not fear.

gacannon

When you say an engine after 1998, do you mean ANY engine installed after 1998, or do you mean a 1998 or newer engine? For example, what if you installed a 1970 engine.........would the car have to meet only 1970 emissions standards? That would be basically a PCV valve.

My suggestion is to buy a 1928 to 1931 title, stamp those number in the frame, and register it as that car. I know some will shout "fraud" etc, but it is done every day, believe me. We aren't car thieves, just guys trying to get an old car on the road.

If some people believe all those "historical" documents being sold on places like Ebay, or by various vendors at every swap meet are used as wall decorations..............I have some swamp land and a bridge I would like to talk to them about.:rolleyes:

Don

My suggestion is to buy a 1928 to 1931 title, stamp those number in the frame, and register it as that car. I know some will shout "fraud" etc, but it is done every day, believe me. We aren't car thieves, just guys trying to get an old car on the road.

If some people believe all those "historical" documents being sold on places like Ebay, or by various vendors at every swap meet are used as wall decorations..............I have some swamp land and a bridge I would like to talk to them about.:rolleyes:

Yes, all very true BUT - that is still technically illegal and does not come without it's perils. I have first hand knowledge of someone being caught in a sting operation conducted by state police on a person selling titles. This person purchased a title and registered a vehicle with it, then got a not-so friendly call from a police detective. This person was able to worm out of any major trouble, (mainly because the police were more interested in the seller) but it was not without it's "tense" moments to say the least. The real scary part, and what the officer was kind enough to inform, was that title had been flagged as fraudulent - meaning if the person driving that vehicle was pulled over there may have been an arrest and the car would definitely be impounded - more than likely to never be seen again.

Also, the person you are buying from just wants your money - even if they are on the up & up. Who is to say that the serial number on the title you bought isn't already in someone else's name? There are only so many serial numbers out there, and when you try to register a vehicle that is already registered to someone else you are going to have some 'splainin to do...

Does it happen all the time, yes. But not worth the trouble IMO. You're right Don - we aren't thieves, so why contribute to criminal activity? It's not burnouts or open headers, it's something that has the potential to land you in some serious trouble. Just something to think about.

Last edited:
Look into http://www.cartitlesforsale.com/ and it may help you out. Or if you know someone in a diff county have it done there like ( Haralson Co. ) They have no Emission and its really easy to get anything done at there DMV.. I lived there 4 yrs ago and could get anything through without any probs..Hope it helps you ..

I'm telling you that you need not fear :D I know how you are feeling right now but just relax it's just a hobby car and if one DMV office were to be difficult take what you learned and go to a different one. Keep talking to the guys that have done it and what office they went to.

Apprehensive is right

I should put together a plan because not having a plan can lead to wrong answers to potential questions. I have not talked to the County Tax office yet. I have only read the data on the website. What they say about post 1998 engine swaps is that if you swapped an engine after 98, it must meet any requirements that it originally had. Prior to 98, the rule did not apply. Hot rods and all cars apply.

I talked to a fellow yesterday that said that they did not have the manpower to follow up and that I was correct in my research, but they let it slide because they did not have the people to follow up.

Registering as any legit manufactured car is not a problem. With a bill of sale, its a breeze as we have all done that. Georgia, specifically has a "built up hot rod" category and it is where the problems could arise. They have what they call the "GRAY CARs" which are are the kit cars and they have VIN's so they are not too much of a problem

Built up rods like mine "BUILT UP HOT ROD" specifically call for a special registration process. SOOO, if I expose it as a ground up hot rod with no bill of sale, and no vin, you just know they are going to ask questions.

having the right answers would be good.

Like Jack Nicholson said in the movie "AS GOOD AS IT GETS" " I have always told you some version of the truth" I am kind of leaning that way. The insurance company does not seem to car as long as the hot rod is described correctly on the policy. LIke V8 instead of 4 cylinder. They don't seem to care about the year being 1928 and the engine being a modern V8. Insurance is what counts the most to me. Selling it down the road is another question all together.

I have about three weeks before its ready. I am going to listen to what people have to say about it. I belong to a rod club and i am going to talk to some of those guys this week also.

Additional comments welcome.

Gacannon

lost title or missing tittlefor the 28/29

we have the same law in michigan. to get around that i used my wifes birthday,example 050660. then went down to the sos with a bill of sale from joe shmoe with this vin# and 20 minutes later i got the new title, i have a 1930 model $rat with a 1980 ford 302 no fenders and only a windshield for glass with open headers. good luck

I know what worked in any state except yours doesn't really help you . Having said that let me tell you what worked for me . I went to the DMV office in the county every one says is the hardest to deal with . I met with the head man , had a nice chat with him about hotrods etc . I asked him what I had to do do get my truck titled and passed thru " his " inspection lane . He asked for a week to come up with something . I gave him the paper work I had - no title or previous registration - as it was made of different car/truck parts .I did have some bills of sale and receipts from speedway etc. Went back a week later and he laid out " his " plan - now it was me and " him " against "them " . He said when I was ready to go thru inspection ,to come get him and he would walk thru the lane with me . I did as he specified , got him and breezed thru insp as the lane employees didn't know who I was ,only that I was " with " the boss . I passed insp ,got my title ,paid my fees and got tags for 4 years as the girl giving out the tags thought it was a brand new vehicle . Now I don't think we broke any laws , but it sure didn't hurt having the head man in my corner . Worked for me 4 years ago .

My experience was a 39 Olds with just a Camaro front clip and a 327. The car looked pretty much stock except the air scoop sticking thru the hood in legal limits. Black with flames painted all over it. We have two types of inspections in Ct. A regular safety inspection and a full technical inspection. I went into the DMV, handed my paperwork to the vehicle inspector, he took it and my money. ($30)Still sitting at his desk near the window he says where is the car. I pointed out the window and said it's the black one with flames painted on it. He turns and looks out the window, stamps rejected on my slip and says...you have to get it towed out of here on a flatbed truck. Take it to the main DMV and get a technical inspection. ( $150 +/_ plus title and Vin fees) I said can I have my money? You didn't even get out of your chair. He says no...you got inspected and failed because it's been modified. I said you didn't even get out of your chair so how do you know. He says, I know...just get a flatbed or I'll impound it. I got it flatbeded to the station down the road. Drove to Mass where my brother lives, registered it in Mass for a total of about $35 and was done with it....Ct evidently didn't want my money.

Latest posts

Back