Getting your money worth.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
You can just about bet there was something said along the lines of "well it did pull a bit to the left.....and made a whirring sound."

Attachments

• Brakes-1.jpg
    Brakes-1.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 61
This reminds me... I have a friend who claims to be a car guy that was complaining about his brakes on his SUV being spongy. The pads had worn so far that the caliper pistons had worn through them and were wearing right against the rotors...

That pic you posted is definitely scary. And some people think minimum thickness can be ignored.

I bought an '80 Corvette last year that was in a garage for about 8 years. I was still shaking it out when the brakes failed on me. This is what I found on the passenger side

Looks familiar. I was working with our shops' "truck driver" years ago and he decided the 40 ft flatbed trailer needed new all four wheel brake pads. He was out there putting new pads on for about six hours before going on a pick up. When he came back, he said something was wrong with the trailer brakes and could I have a look at it. I just layed underneath and looked. There were NO rotors on the front axle at all. He had put all four sets of pads on backasswards. The owner was not a happy camper. And the truck driver got the opportunity to look for a new job. And guess who got to repair all the brakes?

I've had a few come in over the years that wore into the piston until it came out of the hole. One was on a single wheel C30 and a rotor was near impossible to find fast. The guy was half ticked at me because his crew truck was down. I finally told him that I wasn't the idiot who just ignored the horrible scraping noise until the brakes failed.

sad to say but this is from MY TRUCK.......

2012-05-23_18-09-53_465.jpg

But...... it was still in spec for thickness. Not sure how or why this happened. Just hit the brakes once and then the truck shot to one side. I quick got off the road to investigate and found this. Luckily I was only a mile or so from home. Got home put on a new rotor and pads and all was ok. Replaced the other side just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back