Gonna pop the question next month

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livingdeadguy

How cheap is to cheap for an engagement ring? I'm trying to pay debt off and I am thinking about spending no more than $800, is that too cheap?

and just to add, I have bills, loans, trying to pay debt off....so feel bad for me hahaha but I just dont want her to think I'm cheap....but I guess if I wasnt i wouldnt be on this site!

IMO if it's true love the price of the ring don't matter. I gave $180 (a little over a weeks wages at the time) for Mrs. Snake Farm's first ring then we've upgraded a couple times over the years and she now wears one more in line with the "three months salary" rule that the diamond people want you to go by. We will celebrate our 34th Anniversary next month.

Congrats on popping the question, hope it leads to many years of happiness for the both of you. :cool:

Thanks guys! makes me feel alot better, I plan on doing it at our car club show the frankensteiners ball, I have a patch for her because she will be official in the club then so im gonna pull her on stage in front of about 7000+ people and give her the patch on a jacket then show her the ring after tha

when i got married all we had was a set of bands a weeks pay, it was 5 years later when she got her solitaire. i have got her rings, ear rings, and necklaces over the 29 years. good luck.

How cheap is to cheap for an engagement ring? I'm trying to pay debt off and I am thinking about spending no more than $800, is that too cheap?

My brother is the cheapest of the cheap & bought his wife's ring at a pawn shop. It was a pretty big rock but he got a killer deal on it so she was fine with it! :eek:

Beercan

If she loves ya you should be able to give her one of those rings with a sucker shaped like a diamond on it and be happy.

My wife's first ring cost about $150 and her wedding ring was about $600. We're not into that type of stuff tho. She would rather have car parts lol

I think you should just get her a nice band. You can always upgrade later after you get more established.

I've noticed more "hip" couples doing that lately - even ones that can clearly afford a nice diamond. I wish my wife was that hip :rolleyes:

Diamonds....................

that'll shut her up!!!!
Seriously....marriage isn't about diamonds or material things....it's about love, caring and compassion for each other...it's about communication, understanding and making sure that you are conscience of each others needs and that you over look her flaws and and she overlooks yours.....it's about raising a family, having children and living your life together......

OK....now if you buy into any of that stuff.......drive on.... :D

:mad:It is not the cost of he ring, but the love in the heart. My brother proposed to his girl friend on the Yellowstone river after hosting many people from all over for a 9 day fishing and floating party. He waited till only the two of them were left, and popped the question. The engagement ring was w small twig with berries and leaves. She said yes, and we are all very happy. Don't worry about the cost. Do what feels right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 16
When I was ready to get engaged a boss of mine gave me two pieces of advice on buying the ring. He said to buy her a really nice rock because when times get tough she will look at that ring and it will help her get through it all. The second piece of advice was to let her pick it out because she is the one who will be wearing it and showing it off to her friends.

I spent more on that ring than on my first two new cars, but she loved it and for 28 years it did work. In fact, a few times, when money got really tight, we pawned it to get some money to hold us over, but we always made sure we got it back.

Not saying that is what you should do, but just suggesting it might be good to let her help pick it out.

Don

Thanks guys, yeah ive been looking at a few different ones, I'll have to speak with her sister about what she might like, so far everytime I ask her sister for advice about her she is dead on.
I'll let you guys know what happens or come see it live at the ball in october

It's not the price that matters dude. If the love is there a key ring or a piece of string should do.

I've been seeing the wrong kind of women...........the ones I know love jewelry and the bigger the better. :D No different than us guys with our cars though. We love telling everyone how much hp we have, and they love showing their GFs the huge rock on their hand.

But yes, there are practical women out there and ones who love a guy for more than something they wear on their finger.:)

Don

they love showing their GFs the huge rock on their hand.

Amen! They definitely do that! But it's all about what her friends are like. If they all have big rocks, you are in trouble! :D

But if they are more practical, then it should be fine.

The girls I've seen lately with just bands are kinda doing it as a statement - a statement I like! I've seen at a party where some girl is showing off her new rock and they are all catting about it and thier rocks, and then the one girl with the band says something like "I don't need/want a diamond, I'd rather save that money for more important things". Totally deflates the other girls!

Diamonds are silly....but then so are most women.

she said yes, ill post pics…btw had a good turn out at the show even though it was raining and snowing…over 500 cars!

Latest posts

Back